Max number of wires in a 2-gang

Old 07-03-07, 03:36 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Max number of wires in a 2-gang

I am in the process of wiring my addition and have a situation where I have 5 wires; a mix of 12/2 and 12/3 entering/exiting a 2-gang box, I am concerned that I may not have enough space to add the switches and be able to tuck in the wires. I tried to fetch a 3-gang connection box with a reducer to 2-gang (because, I only need two switches in this box) from the local home center however, I could not find it. Does something like this exist? if so, where can I get one.

Thanks

Old 07-03-07, 04:55 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Box Fill

The NEC imposes box size requirements. Refer to "box fill" to get requirements. Number of current carrying conductors, number of devices, and wire size are three of the determining factors.

Old 07-03-07, 06:57 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
All two-gang boxes are not created equal. If you're concerned about box fill, I suggest you buy the box with the largest cubic inches you can find.

Also note that how well everything fits is very dependent on how neatly you arrange and fold all the wires.

If you want to give us more precise details about those cables (i.e., the exact "mix"), we can tell you exactly how many cubic inches of box the code requires.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: