Not so fun sparks on my cable

Old 07-02-07, 11:35 PM
Not so fun sparks on my cable

Got direct TV today, works fine in other rooms except for the attic, i was not home at the time, my girlfriend was, and the cable guy was not able to install it in the attic because the wire would cause sparks when you tried to put it in the television. My girlfriend was not clear on what the DTV guy had told her about it but mentioned something about the cable wire crossing the outlet we were using. This made no sense to me, considering she said he also replaced the cable wire as well. Something about the outlet being grounded and the current is in the floor or something, this is my first time doing home rennovations and i'm wondering if this is something i could fix? First off i'd like to know if anyone knows what exactly is wrong with it, second whether it's fixable by a beginner or whether i should call in the calvary.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-07, 05:23 AM
The first thing I would do is to make sure that the receptacle is properly wired.s it a three wire circuit? Are the hot and neutral properly connected? Is the neutral properly isolated from the ground wire?

Old 07-03-07, 10:11 AM
That answers my question of "is it something i can fix" I have no clue what any of that means, yay for being the noob of the hardware world, man i hate being ignorant... time to call someone