Problem with CATV wiring I think

Old 07-03-07, 12:12 PM
Problem with CATV wiring I think

Hopefully someone knows more about catv wiring then I do, and will be able to figure out this problem.

So I recently had cable tv/internet installed in my home, and unfortunately, was not around during the installation. My wife was there, but did not understand the problems he was telling her.
Basically, she thinks he said the wiring in the house was old (it was built in 1990) and that he was having a hard time getting a strong enough signal for the cable modem.

Eventually, he hooked up the tv and installed the modem downstairs into the only outlet that received a strong enough signal.

The tvs are fuzzy on every channel, but its not bad. The cable has quit working completely.

I read online that fuzzy channels could mean interference on the wires, and that this can come from improperly wired houses or in houses with "DIY electricians"

I know the people who lived in my house previously were DIY electricians, and their DIY work has already caused me a few headaches. I do not understand how electrical work interacts with the catv wiring, though, and so dont know what to look for.

I tried taking the modem upstairs into the attic and connecting it to the line prior to the splitter. It booted up online once, but wouldn't do it a second time.

A FAQ I read stated to connect it to the junction ground or something like that, but I have no idea hwere that is. Can anyone give me some advice on where to look?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-07, 12:18 PM
Attempt to make a connection prior to any in house wiring and watch television at the same place. If you have problems with either one then get the cable company back out, it's their problem.

If you have no problems before the in house wiring, but connecting up the in house wiring causes problems, then either pay the cable company to figure it out or do it yourself. The easiest thing to do is to rerun all the lines, abandoning whatever is in place.

Old 07-03-07, 12:21 PM
How can I find the line prior to my in home wiring? I knwo this sounds basic, but what am I looking for?

Old 07-03-07, 12:24 PM
Find where the cable line enters the house.

Old 07-03-07, 12:37 PM
I think Im missing some key basic knowledge here.

So how exactly does cable enter my house?

Is there a big cable line that runs into my area, and then one individual line going to my house?

Or is each house individually wired to the main frame?

Or does the wire go from its main point, to some box in each neighborhood, and then to my house?

Old 07-03-07, 12:39 PM
Cable television enters your house on a wire. If you have above ground wiring then you can see it. If you have buried wiring then you need to look for it. it will be close to where the power line and telephone lines enter.

Old 07-03-07, 12:59 PM
If your house have overhead service wires you can find the tv cable it is pretty small in size it will genreally be near electric meter area. the same with the telephone service as well.

My main consderation why did the cable company did not wrote down the note in case ya dont understand the issuse there.

the most common issuse with tv cable is poor connection and also not grounded correct at all.

if you getting " snowy " or little crackling noise that mean you are getting very weak singal some case the power do get show up on the cable which it do happend and you have to look at the first point cable splitter or grounding block you should see a ground wire on the cable if not then something else is wrong there.

the cable company should able trace that one

Merci, Marc

Old 07-03-07, 01:51 PM
I have buried service, which probably means its going to be more difficult to find.

I can see the area where the power enters, will the cable be near there? Does it go into a box first, then into my house, or does it go directly into my house?

As for the grounding issue, what should I be looking for?

Old 07-03-07, 02:11 PM
Do not concern yourself with the grounding issue. That is the cable company's problem.

Look for the cable line to enter near the power lines.

Old 07-03-07, 04:22 PM
Usually there is some sort of box outside your home, often quite near where your power enters.