color coding

Old 07-04-07, 05:58 AM
color coding

200 amp service entrance cable with 3 insulated 4/0 conductors, 1 bare ground. One conductor is black with red stripe, one plain black, and one black with white stripe. is the white stripe the neutral???

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-07, 06:17 AM
nap
single phase or 3 phase?

typically there is no ground in a service entrance in my area but depending on the situation there could be.

If this is a single phase resi service, I would say that the white stripe should indicate a grounded conductor. I'm curious about the presence of the grounding conductor.

Is this a service already terminated or do you have a cable and need to know where to land everything?

Expand a bit so I (or if anybody else has a bit of confusion) does not steer you in the wrong direction.

Old 07-04-07, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What you are describing sounds like SER cable. This is NOT typically service "entrance" cable. It is sub-feed cable.
WHY are you using this cable???

In any case, yes, the white stripe conductor is the neutral.

Old 07-04-07, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The way I am reading the OP, he is using a 3 twisted conductors and not a cable, two for hot and one for a neutral. I didn't see a mention of a grounding wire. And yes, the black and red would be your two hots and the white would be the neutral. A separate grounding conductor, probably a #6 or #4 solid bare copper would run from the buss bar to the grounding buss bar in the meter base and to the grounding rod. It largely depends on your locality as to how the grounding wire is run.

Old 07-04-07, 02:29 PM
nap
service entrance cable with 3 insulated 4/0 conductors, 1 bare ground.

from the original post. "1 bare ground".

what it sounds like is quadplex overhead service conductor cable. If there is a steel messenger in the "bare ground" that would cinch it as such.