Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

replacing whole house fan 2 speed-cap-start moter with variable speed motor

Old 07-05-07, 02:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a whole fan on one end of the house and an evaporative cooler on the other end (western US low humidity area). My upstairs attic is too small to use the small 24 inch whole house fan on high, so I just run it on low. I use it mostly just to keep humidity low in the house when the humidity in our area jumps up to around 35 to 40 % from the norm of about 10-20%, however, this direct drive fan is noisy, even on low. I would like to replace the cap-start 2 speed motor, with a variable speed moter, that can be controlled by an adjustable fan speed contol (similar to Hunter ceiling fans, etc) in the wall box (single gang) if possible. Where would be the best place to start looking for a variable speed controllable motor to replace this cap-start 2 speed motor? ---or is there any way to knock down the low-speed on a 2-speed capacitor-start motor? thx

Old 07-06-07, 07:21 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't know the answers to your shopping questions, but I'll offer some tips that might quiet down things. Try putting some cushion (e.g., weatherstripping tape) underneath the fan. The fan should not be attached to your house, but should remain in place via gravity only. Put the same cushion on the sides too between the fan and whatever blocks keep it from wandering around.

If feasible, switch to a belt drive.

If possible, increase the distance between the fan and the ceiling (i.e., move it up higher by adding another layer of framing underneath it).

Increase attic ventilation by adding ridge vents, turbines, soffit vents, etc.

Open more windows when you run it.

Put it on a timer so that you can run it when the noise will less bother you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: