3 gang box 3 switches

Old 07-06-07, 03:20 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 gang box 3 switches

I think I know but just to be sure. 3 switches in 3 gang box. Ran power to box.
tie whites together. Tie grounds together. Jump black from switch to switch? Is this correct? If not please correct me,

Thank You!!
Frank

Old 07-06-07, 05:10 AM
R
It all depends on what you are trying to do.

Old 07-06-07, 07:51 AM
J
What you said is probably correct. There are a lot of missing details, so it's hard to know for sure. Many people don't realize that there are many different ways to wire the same thing.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "jump", but make sure you only put one wire under each screw. Also, make sure your box has enough cubic inches. And you didn't mention the cables going from the switches to whatever the switches control. And we're not sure whether the power feed comes into the switch box or somewhere else.

Old 07-06-07, 08:03 AM
R
One situation where you may not want to connect the incoming power to a switch is if you are going to use three ways and will have a switch loop to the other switch. In this case, if you run power to the other switch first you will avoid a pigtail from incoming power which helps reduce wires inside the box. (It doesn't change the number of connections, it just eliminates the pigtail to the switch.)

Bottom line. think through your layout BEFORE you start. I recommend you draw it out on paper. The fewer wires you have in the box and the larger the box you use the easier it will be to fit everything in.

Old 07-07-07, 03:35 AM
F
little more detail . 3switches 1 to vanity lights, 1 to ceiling light 1 to exhaust fan. ( Bathroom exhaust ). All in same wall box. No 2 or 3 ways. Power comes into box. Tie 3 whites together. Blacks to each switch. Ok looking at the switches there are only 2 screws. Hot side and to light . I probably need to pig tail the power to get to each switch individually. I know you cant double up on the screws but can you use the push in and a screw? Hope this explains better.
Power is directly from main panel.

Thank!!

Frank

Old 07-07-07, 05:12 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Back stab is problematic at best. Pigtail is better. Some old timers would strip the hot on the end and in two places further down from there to hook the remaining switches to.

Old 07-07-07, 06:12 AM
R
Do not use the back stabs. They tend to fail over time. Use three pigtails and a wire nut. Connect the pigtails and the incoming hot together, and connect the other end of each pigtail to a switch.

Old 07-07-07, 07:31 AM
In a very simple answer to your question ,YES, you are wiring this correctly. Be sure to avoid the backstab holes and pigtail the hot lead to feed each switch. It takes a few more minutes now but saves a lot of headache later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: