Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

rewiring an outdoor shed - does new wiring need to meet code?

Old 07-06-07, 12:22 PM

Hi,
I have an old shed in my backyard that has a terrible wiring job - loose wires hanging around, wires taped together, old damaged receptacles. It is unsafe and a fire hazard. I'm a novice at electrical stuff - I've wired one bedroom and a couple other small things in my house - but I know I could handle rewiring the shed. It would be basically two lights, two switches, two outlets. My question is would the new wiring have to meet current code? I'm afraid if it does that I don't know the code well enough and will do something that doesn't meet it. Whatever I do will be far safer than what's there now. But I'm afraid a home inspector (when I sell) might nail me on something. Like do wires running on the ceiling/roof need to be protected in conduit? They aren't right now, just running along the beams.

I appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-07, 12:34 PM
Yes, any new wiring needs to meet current code.

Exposed wiring must be protected. This usually means that the wiring along the walls must be protected (in conduit) and that wiring in the ceiling is okay exposed.

Old 07-06-07, 02:06 PM
Thanks Bob. What about if I just replaced the fixtures but not the wiring? Does it still have to meet new code?

Also about the wires in the ceiling/roof. It is a simple shed roof made of plastic ribbed sheets nailed onto the rafters. The old wires are running all around the roof, under the plastic but over the rafters. I'm not sure if that counts as being protected enough, but it sounds like it might be ok.

Is there somewhere I can read the NEC for free?

Old 07-06-07, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Here's a free version but it does not allow you to "find" specific words. If you want a PDF version, PM me and I will email it to you.

http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_access_agreement.asp?id=7005SB