Underground with conduit.....

Old 07-06-07, 05:05 PM
Underground with conduit.....

Running another wire for my pool filter (current wire has been cut accidentally), I already have conduit run half way, I was wondering what wire should be used.

Ive seen TWHN referenced, but the local big box (HD) only had THHN. I know the W is for wet areas, but was wondering if the THHN is acceptable because it will be run in PVC conduit.

There is a sorta local supply house that probably has TWHN, but if I can just grab the THHN stuff it would be a little easier.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-07, 05:23 PM
Most THHN is dual rated THHN/THWN. You need THWN (or the dual rated stuff). If the wire is single rated THHN then you cannot use it. Buried conduit is a wet location, and requires waterproof wire.

Dont forget to buy an insulated ground wire. You need white for the neutral, green for the ground, and an appropriate color (black, blue red, etc.) for the hot.

Old 07-06-07, 05:38 PM
Would dual rated show THHN/THWN on the insulation?

I didnt think the HD stuff had that on there but I didnt look that closely at the markings.

Definitely buying all insulated conductors, just need to make sure I can find the right stuff quickly (stamped concrete patio going in over the conduit on Tuesday).

Thanks for the info.

-Chris

Old 07-06-07, 06:39 PM
Look on the spool the wire is on and look at the insulation on the wire. Both will indicate the wire type.