Adding a brach circuit acceptable?

Old 07-07-07, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a brach circuit acceptable?

I am new posting here so be nice. I am finishing a basement and would like to add 2 new branch circuits. Obviously I need to go from the panel breaker to the basement. The panel is on an exterior wall of the house in the attached garage. The basement is across the garage and set back from the location of the panel. The wall I want to bring the circuits in on is the basement exterior wall. So I need to go through the garage to the outside (for 6ft) then back in the basement wall. My plan is to use outdoor rated cable one circuit of 12-3 and one of 12-2. Run them through nonmetalic conduit in the garage because routing the cable behind the walls in the garage is going to be tough (floor is poured concrete and the ceiling is 16' up). Then the bare cable outside with outdoor boxes at the penetrations (insulated with that clay stuffing). Once in the basement I will transition to indoor cable for the rest of the circuit. My questions are:
Is it ok to run the conduit in the garage?
Can I use the bare cable outside?
Is it a good idea to use the 12-3 for a future 3rd circuit (multi wire branch)?
Does this sound like a reasonable approach?
Thanks for your thoughts in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-07, 11:24 AM
You can use conduit in the garage. You cannot run bare cable outside if it in a place where it is accessible.

Old 07-08-07, 10:51 AM
I'd run conduit directly from the panel to a junction box in the basement, and run THWN from the panel to the basement, as needed, and NMB from that to needed circuits.

Old 07-08-07, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the responses. Outside the cable is in a crawl space under a porch so I guess that is considered non-accessible. How about using the 12-3 for future expansion?

Old 07-08-07, 02:23 PM
Compare the cost of 12/3 vs. 12/2. If you can get 12/3 for significantly less than twice the cost of 12/2, then your plan is reasonable. Otherwise it makes more sense to just run another 12/2 as a spare. If running this cable will be especially difficult, you may want to run the spare now. Otherwise, you can just take care of the future when the future gets here.

Old 07-16-07, 07:39 PM
Thanks again for the responses. I decided that running the cable outside under the porch was a dumb idea so I will go through the wall of the garage. This isn't on the wall I wanted but do-able) I am still faced with 30' of conduit run along the wall (in a drywalled attached garage). If I use schedule 40 (Carlon) 1" conduit can I put 3 12-2 cables in it? I see on some other posts this type of conduit can only be used where not subject to damage. 10' will be along a wall only 4' up then over a garage door then down a couple of feet back into the wall then to the main panel. thanks again

Old 07-16-07, 08:28 PM
Yes, you can use schedule 40. I'd consider schedule 80 only if it seems likely that it might take some hard hits.

If the conduit is for protection only and is open at both ends, you can put in as many cables as will comfortably fit (i.e., don't jam them in).