3 Loads off 1 Outlet?

Old 07-07-07, 06:52 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 Loads off 1 Outlet?

Hi all, I recently set about to put a GFCI in an outlet near my Bathroom. Upon removing the old outlet I noticed not only had they used the screw locks but also had 2 more pair in the Stab locks. My question is, Is this safe? There is no physical way I can fit the GFCI into the box with 4 pair in the box plus grounds.

Old 07-07-07, 06:56 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Backstabs are judged by UL to be sufficiently safe, but they are not as reliable as connections to screws. The normal mitigation is to use wire nuts and pigtails. However, you have a space problem.

If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. You'll either need to give up on the idea of a GFCI, or replace the box with a bigger box. I'm not even sure why you want GFCI here anyway. It's not common for receptacles that are only "near" a bathroom.

Old 07-07-07, 07:08 PM
H
Smile

Its my wifes worry . You could theoretically have her hair dryer plugged in to this outlet (which is around the wall from the toilet) and drop it in the toilet. I'm not gonna put in the GFCI now, but was worried at the amount of connections. I guess they figured it was cheaper than running more junction boxes.

Old 07-07-07, 07:09 PM
R
Note that this box, as is, may not be up to code. You need a fairly large box (cubic inch wise) to legally have four cables and a receptacle. If it is overcrowded you may want to investigate fixing the overcrowding, which may allow you to put in the GFCI you want.

If this box is IN the bathroom then I would certainly make it a GFCI as soon as possible. If the box is outside the bathroom, then why are you using it IN the bathroom? If it's because you don't have a receptacle in the bathroom, then address that problem.

Old 07-07-07, 07:18 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you wife is unwilling to stop using this receptacle for her hairdryer (the best solution), then please put in a larger box so that it can accommodate a GFCI. Or install an additional receptacle somewhere nearby for her hairdryer. If there is already a recepacle in the bathroom, then maybe you could extend that to a new receptacle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: