Light switch within reach from shower?

Old 07-07-07, 08:43 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Light switch within reach from shower?

I have a friend that is remolding his bathroom, I'm helping. He want's to place a light switch in a location that is within reach while in the shower. Is there a code about distance of a device(curious about receptacle also) from the shower?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-08-07, 03:04 AM
J
just a thought, but how about installing a home automation switch as the light switch to the bathroom light in the normal gang box by the door away from the shower (such as x-10 or one of the other power-line carrier or wireless protocols), then install a wireless-switch of the same home automation protocol next to the shower (they're battery operated with no direct-AC connect and just plug in the wireless receiver in an out-of-way place close to the bathroom (another room would be ok). Set the wireless switch & receiver to the same "house & unit" code as the bathroom light switch, then there should be no code problems, no extra "3-way" (2-switch) wiring, and no chance of any associated electrical shock. The one's I've got have 3-switches with dim in a single-gang face plate, and I've seen the 4 on/off only without the dimming funchtion. If it's a power-line carrier protocol just make sure that the wireless-receiver and the hard-wire connected "normal" home-automation switch are not on different legs of the 220 circuit, unless you install that power line carrier's 'signal bridge' or a signal bridge amp.

Old 07-08-07, 05:31 AM
R
Code says the switch cannot be IN the tub or shower area. Right next to the enclosure is allowed by code, but I would not do this.

If I did have a switch in close proximity to the shower, I would GFCI protect the line feeding it.

Old 07-08-07, 07:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"If I did have a switch in close proximity to the shower, I would GFCI protect the line feeding it."

May I ask why?

Old 07-08-07, 07:54 AM
R
Just in case someone were in the tub and wet ans there was a problem with the switch.

Old 07-08-07, 08:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I understand that philosophy, but in a new installation, with everything grounded properly, there is really no danger at all.
Many times we have no choice but to put switches within reach of a shower. I would say this is 50% of the time or more. I have NEVER GFI protected these switches unless they control a fan over a tub/shower.

Old 07-08-07, 02:00 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Switch handles are plastic. When you operate a switch, your hand never really gets very close to live power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: