When Required to Upgrade to Current Code?

Old 07-07-07, 10:26 PM
When Required to Upgrade to Current Code?

If I "touch" something on a circuit, when am I required to upgrade it to current code, as opposed to it continuing to be grandfathered?

Example #1: I've got a circuit that must be grounded to a water pipe, because I don't see a ground wire in the service panel, yet my tester on the receptacles shows that it's grounded. I'm considering adding a receptacle to this circuit. If so, am I required to remove the grounding to the water pipe and add a ground wire back to the service panel?

Example #2: The current kitchen receptacles are not GFCI protected. I would like to add another receptacle over the kitchen counter. Must ALL of the kitchen receptacles be GFCI protected after I add the receptacle?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-07, 04:51 AM
nap
Code does restrict you from adding onto a circuit that is not code compliant

so, in your situation:

both situations would require you to upgrade those specific circuits because you are adding onto the circuit.

Old 07-08-07, 05:35 AM
1. I would investigate this receptacle. It;s possible the installer connected the ground to the neutral, which would be very dangerous. Code will not allow you to add to this circuit until and unless it meets code which means it wil have to be properly grounded.

2. If you add a brand new receptacle run all the way from the panel, the new receptacle must meet code, but you won;t have to upgrade anything else. However, if you extend the current circuit then the current must meet current code, at least as far as GFCI protection and circuit size (20 amp).

Old 07-08-07, 06:34 AM
As far as I know, you cannot tie a wire to a water pipe to achieve a ground for a receptacle.

Old 07-08-07, 07:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I must ask, why do you think you "must" ground this circuit to a water pipe???
As 594 said, this is VERY illegal and UNSAFE in all but very specific circumstances.

Old 07-08-07, 07:22 AM
nap
As long as the water pipe is part of the grounding electrode system and the connection is made within 5 feet of the entrance of the building (since that is the only portion of the water pipe that is considered to be acceptable as the grounding electrode) it is acceptable and legal.

Old 07-08-07, 12:54 PM
Speedy Petey, I didn't mean to imply the "must" to be that I needed to ground the circuit to a water pipe - although I understand how my words could be interpreted that way. Rather, I meant that I have an existing circuit for which the tester shows the receptacles as grounded, but there is no ground wire in the service panel. Therefore, I interpreted that by process of elimination (I meant the "must" in that sense), it is probably grounded to a water pipe.

There are some ground wires with cable clamps on the plumbing withing 5 feet of the entrance of the building, although I haven't yet traced those wires back to their sources. However, the service panel is grounded to a grounding rod. I don't recall whether the plumbing is bonded to the grounding rod - I need to check that. Assuming that is the case, I assume I'm legit.

Old 07-08-07, 03:33 PM
if the wiring is run in conduit, the conduit is probably being used as a ground