Need help running power to a new Irregation Pump

Old 07-09-07, 12:28 PM
Need help running power to a new Irregation Pump

I have recently drove a new irregation well for watering my lawn. I need to run power to my new Flotec FP5182 2hp pump. I'd like to run it at 230 volts which would require 12a, a branch fuse of 15a, and min wire of 14AWG. I have a standard electrical box and the pump is right next to the corner of my deck. My questions are:

1) Can I run power to the pump by running electrical wire under the deck and installing an outlet on the deck post, 12" off the ground, or must I burry the wire? I'd then attached a wire and plug the pump in whenever I needed it to run.

2) What type of wire am I best off using?

3) What type of plug and receptical should I use?

4) Any other advise would be great!

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-07, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> 1) Can I run power to the pump by running electrical wire under the deck
> and installing an outlet on the deck post, 12" off the ground

Yes.

> 2) What type of wire am I best off using?

Use UF-B cable (if protected from damage under the deck) or use THWN conductors in conduit if the wires are in an area that could be damaged. You cannot use NM-B indoor "Romex" cable.

> 3) What type of plug and receptical should I use?

Simplex NEMA 6-15R or 6-20R depending on 15 or 20A circuit. Use an outdoor in-use "bubble" cover on the receptacle. For the cord and plug use a quality outdoor-rated cord of the correct gauge.

> 4) Any other advise would be great!

If you use UF-B cable, color in the last few inches of the white wire with a red or blue sharpie marker to designate its use as a hot wire.

Old 07-09-07, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks View Post
>
> 3) What type of plug and receptical should I use?

Simplex NEMA 6-15R or 6-20R depending on 15 or 20A circuit. Use an outdoor in-use "bubble" cover on the receptacle. For the cord and plug use a quality outdoor-rated cord of the correct gauge..

Should you have recommended a GFI receptacle? I think so.

Old 07-09-07, 02:30 PM
A 240 volt single GFCI receptacle? Do they even make such an animal?

Old 07-09-07, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, they do not make 240V GFCI receptacles. A dedicated 240V irrigation pump* circuit does not require GFCI protection unless the manufacturer specifies that a double pole GFCI breaker is required. The poster is allowed to use a double pole GFCI breaker if he so desires, but it is not required.

* Other types of pumps such as pool or spa do require GFCI protection, so don't draw a general conclusion from this specific answer.

Old 07-09-07, 04:44 PM
Thank you all for your input, just a little additional clarification needed.

1) When you say I can use " UF-B cable if protected from damage under the deck" the deck is about 4 feet of the ground and I'd like to staple the cable to the sides of the support beams and down one of the posts. The cable would get wet and see some sun, but not much else, will the UF-B still work?

2) Would you recommed I upgrade to the double pole GFCI breaker to be safe? Should I go with a 15A or 20A breaker? Will the choice hear affect the cable, plug, or outlet I use?

Old 07-09-07, 08:01 PM
1) Wet and sun is OK for UF. Make sure it will not be subject to damage. Personally, I would run it in PVC conduit with THWN conductors.

2) I wouldn't use a GFCI breaker for 240v unless the manufacturer recommended one (for this particular application). 15 amp breaker per instructions - that IS where you got the numbers in your first post?

Old 07-09-07, 09:33 PM
I strongly recommend the use of PVC conduit for physical protection along the deck and post. You may use the UF-B cable inside the conduit.

Old 07-10-07, 04:41 AM
I would protect the cable under this deck. You could run UF cable in conduit, then the conduit does not need to be 'exact' or terminate properly in junction boxes, or you could use THWN in conduit, in which case the conduit needs to terminate properly in junction boxes.

I would not use a GFCI breaker unless the pump manufacturer calls for it.

Old 07-10-07, 08:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> Should I go with a 15A or 20A breaker?

Use a 15A breaker. If the run is fairly short (less than 50') use #14 wire; longer than that, use #12 wire. Use a NEMA 6-15R simplex receptacle and matching 6-15P plug on the motor cord. Put the receptacle in an outdoor box and install an in-use cover over the receptacle. Use the appropriate weather-tight cable or conduit connectors to the box.

If the motor came with a cord, use that one; otherwise use a #12/3 type SJOW-A or similar cord. There are many classifications of cord, but make sure that it ends in "W-A" which certifies that cord as weather and atmosphere resistant.

Old 07-10-07, 12:17 PM
I agree with the suggestion to use conduit. Four feet is high enough to leave it vulnerable. And UF-B cable is not sunlight resistant unless it specifically says it is.