need some advice and help

Old 07-10-07, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need some advice and help

I was recently trying to run some outlets and switches in my cabin and ran into some probs. It only had 1 outlet on a 20amp breaker in it. I was trying to run 3 more outlets off of it and wire 2 light switches using 12/2. When we wired the light to it the light was on and the switch was in the off position. When switched on it tripped the breaker. Also, should I run another line for a refridgerator?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-07, 07:35 AM
You should do nothing until you buy and read a book on electricity. It sounds like you connected both sides of the power to the switch. This is a common mistake made by people who don;t know what they're doing.

Electricity can and does kill people. Don;t kill yourself or burn down your cabin because you don;t know what you are doing.

Only the hot wires get attached to the switch, and two both sides of the switch.

Yes, your refrigerator needs a different (and dedicated) circuit.

Old 07-10-07, 07:39 AM
Ok, so only the black wires go to the switch on each side and the white and grounds go together. Why is there a screw for the ground on the switch. We have the main breaker off when I leave and when we work on it so we are cautious just dont know a whole lot on wiring. Thats why Im here!

Old 07-10-07, 08:01 AM
Buy and read two or three books on home wiring. Start with the book "Wiring Simplified." It it inexpensive and available at the bog box stores as well as on-line.

The problem is that there many, many things you will do wrong that will still work. Noe of us can possibly anticipate all the mistakes you will make.

You need to understand how to do this job safely without burning your cabin down or killing someone.

There is a ground screw on the switch because it needs to be grounded. You connect the ground wires together and pigtail them to the switch. You also pigtail them to the box, if using a metal box.

You do not, under any circumstances, connect the ground wires to the white wires at a junction box.

Old 07-10-07, 08:35 AM
Yea Im using plastic boxes. We connected the grounds together, power, and neutral and pigtsiled them to the switch. We changed the power and neutrals and still had the same problem.

Old 07-10-07, 08:47 AM
You need to learn how to do this. This is not rocket science and this is the most basic of wiring tasks.

One black wire gets connected to each terminal on the switch.

The two white wires get connected together with a wire nut.

The two ground wires and a pigtail get connected together with a wire nut and the pigtail goes to the ground (green) terminal on the switch.

Make sure that when you put the switch and the wires inside the box that the ground wire does not accidentally contact the screw terminals for the switch.

Make sure that you have the wiring correct at the light and at the receptacles.

Old 07-10-07, 10:08 AM
Yea I figures what we did wrong. I have a wiring book and forgot to take it with me. We put the neutral on the switch. Does it hurt anything not grounding to the boxes since their plastic? Next were going to tackle a ceiling fan but Im going to make sure I bring a couple of my electrician friends!

Old 07-10-07, 10:21 AM
There is no way to ground plastic boxes. However, you MUST ground the switches and the receptacles.

Old 07-10-07, 11:14 AM
Ok. So the lights and a couple outlets are running from the one metal grounded outlet. Will that be ok and just hook all the grounds to the other outlets together right?

Old 07-10-07, 11:29 AM
All ground wires in a junction box are to be connected together. These ground wires get pigtailed to the device (switch, receptacle or light) and also pigtailed to the box, if the box is metal.

Old 01-29-08, 04:53 PM
Outlets in 3 bathrooms + outside outlet not working

Hello

In the process of running a blowdryer in MBR the power went out. No circuit breaker action, but after testing the outlets in other bathrooms they are not working. Also the outside outlet in the back of the house (not GFCI) is not working. The outside GFCI outlet in the front of the house works. Also, I tested all hot wires in each bathroom . Only one of the two black wires in the MBR showed voltage . I did not get any readings when I tested the black to white, the volt reading only showed up when I tested black to the ground wire. Any advice for the DIYer. Thanks

Last edited by promeforme; 01-29-08 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-29-08, 06:17 PM
Well, you figured it out for yourself. It's an open neutral. Search this forum for open neutral. The check the circuit.