Hot leg in main panel is dead

Old 07-11-07, 07:40 PM
Hot leg in main panel is dead

I am renovating my 2-fam house. I have two meters with a 100am panel coming off of each meter. Today one of the hot legs in one of the panels seems to have went dead. Can any of you help me in diagnosing and solving this problem o' mine?

Thanks, Pat

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-07, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
You need to call the electric company now. You have a dangerous situation. They should come out quickly. Turn off all breakers till they do. It's possible it's on your side but best to have them check first.

Old 07-11-07, 07:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Even if it is on your side, the poco will need to pull the meter so you can correct it.

Old 07-11-07, 08:56 PM
Once that is done, chances are it's the main breaker. So while you're waiting for the power company, feel free to call around and see who has another one so that you can be prepared. If it also burned the buss, you could be looking at a new panel. I did one of those exact situations last week. The time before though, it only needed the new breaker.

Old 07-11-07, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
There is usually an easy way to check if it is the main breaker but perhaps Mac didn't elaborate because of safety issues.

Old 07-11-07, 10:08 PM
Yeah, might as well wait for the Power Company since they have to be involved anyway. It's nice that you have another service on the same building so you don't have to borrow power from the neighbors during the repairs.

But the procedure would be something like this, though we all might do it slightly differently.

With at least all the 2-pole breakers OFF, a non-contact voltage tester or a solenoid tester is what I use to verify a dead buss, compared with what you get from the buss bars from the meter.

Usually, we're just waiting to see if only the breaker needs to be replaced or the panel (sometimes just the guts.)