Generator questions?

Old 07-11-07, 08:34 PM
Generator questions?

I will be installing a manual transfer panel for my portable generator. A few quick Q's, simply because I dont know......

#1...This will be a Seperate panel from my main load center. As for grounding, do I follow the guidelines for a Subpanel and isolate Neutral from ground.

#2.... Maybe kinda stupid , but I understand the function of the "Rocking Toggle, Finger type " thing that keeps the breakers from being on simultaneously. What isolates the Neutral and grounds from POCO , and the gen? Am I thinking backwards?

#3.... This is a Modified Square D load center with the manual transfer retainers and lockout, for backfed breakers... May I use the main lugs to power an additional small subpanel...?

Thanks guys.. This is why I keep coming back here...If I depended on my electrician, I;d be broke or fried by now.

Last edited by Unclediezel; 07-11-07 at 08:35 PM. Reason: misspell
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-07, 08:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> do I follow the guidelines for a Subpanel and isolate Neutral from ground.

Yes.

> What isolates the Neutral and grounds from POCO , and the gen?

Nothing; the neutral and ground remain interconnected with the POCO and house grounding system. Only the hots are isolated.

> May I use the main lugs to power an additional small subpanel...?

If the main lugs are correctly controlled by the interlock, yes. The sub-subpanel feeder conductors must match the subpanel main breaker.