12v Rechargeable

Old 07-12-07, 05:16 PM
12v Rechargeable

I bought a 5ah, 12v rechargeable battery and have a few questions. The charger does not list a time for 5ah but just for 7 (24 hours) What time should I charge for? Can I only charge the battery when it is fully depleted, or does the charger turn off on its own? Also can the battery be left in an uncovered, aluminum boat where it frequently rains? If not, what can I do to prevent short?
Thanks a bunch

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-07, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You don't specify a battery type, but I assume deep cycle since you mention a boat.
The charger should tell you if it is automatic or not. If it is not automatic then you have to judge how long to charge.

DO NOT leave the battery out in the open. Worse than the weather IMO is the chance of it tipping over in an aluminum boat.
Use a marine battery box.

Old 07-12-07, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
It is a pretty small battery............ is it for electronics like a depth finder?

The fact there is a time rating on the charger it will not be an automatic one and you should leave it charging slightly less than the time suggested for the bigger battery.

If it is a sealed battery there may not be a problem with being exposed to the rain but I would be more concerned with damage to the case from the UV rays of the sun.
I agree that it should be in an insulated case because if it did tip and short it could heat up and catch fire or explode.

Old 07-14-07, 03:01 PM
You should float charge it, don't let it get particularly low.

Old 07-15-07, 09:38 AM
I dont want to get a new charger because I had to look hard to find one that works (less than 1.5 amp, and it says for Sealed Lead Acid on the charger.) So, in other words, I need to fully discharge the battery before charging if I dont know the charge the battery is holding? Also the charger lists 16 hours for 5ah 6v and 24 hours for 7ah 12v so I am thinking of charging for 16 hours. Also I cant find a case small enough as it is a small battery as you suggested, Greg. It is for electronics and the motor crank is a pull cord. Im pretty sure it is deep-cycle.

Old 07-15-07, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Ya, I think I know what you have.
It is likely a sealed lead acid or gel battery that is used in alarms and emergency lighting.

If you are removing the electronics could you not make yourself a small case or adapt something so you take everything with you?

There is a lot of confusion these days on the subject of totally discharging batteries.
Alarm and emerg lighting batteries are made to occasionally deep cycle but some will last for many years unused and always kept fully charged.
I would do what classicsat suggested and charge it whenever you use it.
Once or twice a season drag it down but don't go below ten volts or you could damage it.

I work at a hospital and work with this type of battery almost daily as nearly every piece of electronic equipment nowadays have them.
Even plug in devices use them to either be portable, to maintain memory or even for internal alarms.

Post the make and model of your battery and maybe I have some info on it.

Old 08-03-07, 05:37 PM
Well I got everything set up well, but I've mostly been out in other folks' boats so I've not used it too much. Tomorrow is a local tournament, so I want to make sure I don't lose power out on the water. Time to charge: do I just plug and leave a few hours?

Old 08-13-07, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry for the delay.
Did you catch any fish?

A few hours of charging would likely not be enough.
I wouldn't be afraid to leave the charger on overnight.