smoke detector- firex G-6

Old 07-14-07, 08:51 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
smoke detector- firex G-6

i have a firex G-6 hard wired ionization smoke detector and 2 nights ago, it went off. there was no fire. I disconnected it and I think i need to replace it since it is 15 years old. Any ideas for a replacement? I don't have a CO detector in the house as of yet. thanks

Old 07-14-07, 09:04 AM
R
I recommend a combination CO2 detector and photoelectric smoke detector.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy an ionization only type smoke alarm. Ionization (only) type smoke detectors are almost useless in most fires in a house. Whatever you buy for a smoe detector, make sure that it has photoelectric sensors.

Old 07-14-07, 04:44 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Is this the only detector you have? If not then you will need to replace them all. The line that ties them together to set them all off will not work properly between different brands.

Old 07-14-07, 06:36 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by racraft
I recommend a combination CO2 detector and photoelectric smoke detector...
CO2 or CO?

DON'T get the one that you can test with your TV remote. It picks up stray signals too often when you try to change a channel. Ask me how I know.

I had to wind up getting one of each in order to NOT get that feature.

Old 07-14-07, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Whatever you do, do NOT buy an ionization only type smoke alarm. Ionization (only) type smoke detectors are almost useless in most fires in a house. Whatever you buy for a smoe detector, make sure that it has photoelectric sensors.

I think the NFPA and the local fire marshall would take issue with that position. The majority of the alarms sold for residential use are ionization, of course because they are less expensive. And either type will alarm if a rip roaring blaze breaks out. The fire departments quote very impressive statisitics about how these alarms save lives, regardless of which type. There is a place for BOTH types in your home, because each responds in a different way and responds more quickly to different types of fires. That is why it is valuable to have both types, or combos. Just like I always use some line powered, and some battery only. I feel that covers the bases.

NFPA I believe also recommends that alarms be blanket replaced at 10 years due to a falloff in reliability with age, so the homeowner on this post should follow that advice. Someone also pointed out that with interconnected alarms, there is always a question mark between brands, and even within brands, a newer one should not be connected with older ones since the interconnect voltage may very well be different.

Old 07-14-07, 08:22 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I prefer separate smoke and CO detectors. You want your CO detector somewhere you can see the reading from time to time.

Old 07-15-07, 04:41 AM
R
I assure you, I know what I am talking about. Refer to the web site www.aquariumtest.com to see why ionization type smoke detectors are the wrong type to have, if you ony have one type.

With an ionization (only) type detector, you will be dead long before the rip roaring fire breaks out.

Old 07-15-07, 06:21 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
support of Racraft

Check into MA.

We are looking at not allowing IONs' in residential use.
Supported by The fire marshall.
Most certainly get a co detector.

Old 07-15-07, 04:50 PM
J
I just want to reiterate what 594tough said - Complete replacement at around 10 years. That is the approximate life span of smoke alarms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: