Exposed wiring advise

Old 07-15-07, 09:25 PM
Exposed wiring advise

I have a planter area inside the courtyard adjacent to a pool. Here is a picture:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w67/143house/courtyard/P1010127.jpg

Since the house was recently purchased and no plans was available (checked with city said plans older than 1975 were microfilmed and later eaten up by parasites). I recently cleared the plants off the planter area and noticed there are additional wiring connected to the receptacles.

There is a switch on the exterior wall about 5 feet from the receptacle. The wire runs from the receptacle to the ground, under the slab and come up to the receptacle inside the planter area. What I did not anticipate was that there are two more wires than run from the receptacle to somewhere else.

There is a line B that runs via a PVC conduit under the deck, I am not sure where it goes.

Then there is another wire that is protected by a metal conduit, only the metal conduit is all corroded and falling apart. The wire inside is red and says "8 AWG TYPE TW" I am not sure what that means, do I need to replace the corroded metal pipe with another? If so, how do I find replace it? I dug around the exposed red wire under the deck and it continues under the deck, I used my hand to feel around it and it looks like it is exposed at least for as far as I can reach with my hand and elbow. How can I replace that corroded metal pipe if I cannot even find a section of conduit that is not corroded so badly?

It seems one of the two wires may have something to do with the pool light at night.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-07, 04:09 AM
Turn off the circuit, or disconnect the wires and find out what no longer works.