Shutoff for Attic Fan

Old 07-16-07, 10:09 AM
Shutoff for Attic Fan

I plan on adding a small thermostat-controlled attic fan. It is designed to be hard wired, but I would like the ability to shut if off in case I need to do work in the attic near the fan. I could provide a dedicated circuit for it and turn it off at the breaker, but that seems to be a waste since my panel is already crowded. Are there local disconnect switches available for that purpose - something like what I have outside next to the compressor for my central air conditioner?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-07, 10:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A simple light switch will do. You could use an A/C disconnect if you wanted, but that would be a little much for a small attic fan.

Old 07-16-07, 10:47 AM
I would use a normal light switch. If you feel this is not enough then there a motor rated swiches you can get. They fit into regular junction boxes and look normal after the cover is on.

Old 07-16-07, 11:49 AM
THis might not apply to you'r fan, but an option is a dis-connect in the form of a cord-plug inserted into a receptacle. The NEC allows this form of motor-disconnect. The reason is saftey, especially for a DIYer.

Dis-connecting an attic fan by removing the plug from the receptacle gives a far more more safe condition than say, a toggle-switch. If you are adjusting the belt on a belt-driven attic fan, an accidental closing of a switch will energize the motor at the worst possible time. Far less likely that the motor will be accidently be energized with a cord-plug connection.

Old 07-16-07, 12:54 PM
I recommend two switches in series. One where it is convenient to operate without going up into the attic, and one right next to the fan that you will use when servicing it or shutting it down for the season.