Switched outlet to overhead light?

Old 07-17-07, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switched outlet to overhead light?

I am a new DIYer and I've been trying to search for information. I am not sure if I need to hire an electrician or if I'm not using the right terms. I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

I have 3 bedrooms in which the light switch controls one outlet in the room. I want to put in a ceiling fan/light fixture in each bedroom, but I don't know if this is a DIY project I've seen "Wiring Simplified" recommended several times here, and wondered if this book would also help me -- or if I need this one as a base and another one?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Lisa B.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-07, 12:39 PM
Yes, what you want to do is a very basic do it yourself project. Start by buying and reading books. Wiring Simplified is a good one to start with. After you read the books you will have an idea what your project involves. You can then post back here with any questions you have.

Old 07-17-07, 06:54 PM
If there is an accessible attic above these rooms, then the job will be an ordinary DIY job (assume you're willing to climb around in the attic and dig through insulation). If there is no accessible attic above these rooms, you might consider getting professional help.

If the switch and/or switch-controlled receptacle are on interior walls, then this will be an ordinary DIY job. If the switch and switch-controlled receptacle are on exterior walls, you might consider getting professional help.

Old 07-18-07, 07:02 AM
Thank you both for your responses I feel a little better now thinking it's a DIY project! The switches and outlets are on interior walls -- and there is attic space above. I'll start my reading journey and post here if I come up with more questions

Thanks!!
Lisa B.

Old 07-18-07, 07:12 AM
You will need to decide if you want to leave the receptacle controlled by the switch (as it is now) along with the fan and light, or if you want just the fan and light to be controlled by the switch.

You will need to decide if you want to change the switch to a double switch so that the fan and light can be controlled separately, or if you want them to be on the same switch.

Depending on the present wiring you will have choices. With new wiring you can do just about anything. Present wiring that will come into play will be whether the switch is a switch loop or if full power goes through the switch and whether the wiring between the switch and receptacle is three wire (plus ground) or just two wire (plus ground).

The easiest thing to do will be to add a new cable from the switch to the ceiling where you want the fan.

Good luck, and let us know what questions you have, after you read those books.

Old 07-18-07, 10:12 AM
You should also start thinking about whether you want to control this fan from a hand-held remote, from a special wall-mounted fan control switch, from one ordinary wall switch, or from two ordinary wall switches (one for the fan and one for the light). Keep in mind that hand-held remotes and wall switch control are generally mutually exclusive. Most people want both, but that's not really feasible. So it won't really do you any good to install two wall switches if you plan to use a hand-held remote. Nevertheless, you still might want to run black/red/white/bare cable from the wall to the ceiling in case you change your mind some day.