Cutler-Hammer CH style box questions

Old 07-17-07, 11:30 PM
Cutler-Hammer CH style box questions

I have two Cuttler-Hammer CH style distribution boxes in my mechanical room, both with seperate feeds to them. The data sheet inside each box says they are rated at 150 amps, however each box only has a 100 amp main breaker. Is this unusual? Did the installer just put 100 amp breakers in them to save money? Could they handle 150 amp main breakers? thanks ahead of time.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-07, 12:02 AM
The main breakers are sized according to the wires that are feeding it. It is very common to see smaller breakers than the panel can handle, as the wires are the expensive part, and you only get what you need that panel to distribute.

Old 07-18-07, 12:17 AM
So i need to see what size wire is feeding the two main breakers to detirmine if they will handle 150a main breakers?

Old 07-18-07, 03:17 AM
Yes, as well as know the distance from the other panel or service transformer, and if it is conduit or overhead in free-air.

Why are you considering a larger main breaker? Do you not have enough power now?

It would be rare for the main breaker to be upgradable without having to upgrade the feeder wires.

Old 07-18-07, 10:31 AM
It would be very rare. If your wires could handle 150 amps, they would have given you a 150-amp breaker.