Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wire coming in on outside different than wire into loadcenter

Old 07-18-07, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Why is the wire coming from the pole, and going into the conduit on the outside of my house, a different wire than what is coming in on the inside, and going into my load center. Is it common for there to be a splice? Would the splice be in the conduit? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-07, 02:36 PM
jn
Isn't there a meter there?
The wire coming down the pole would go to the one side of the meter and a different wire would come off the other side of the meter and go into your house to the load center...

Old 07-18-07, 03:06 PM
Well, the meter is one pole away from where the wire comes into the house. THe wire goes from that pole, to a jump pole, then into the conduit on the side of the house. This wire is very large and has the aluminum or galvinized ground. When I look at the load center in the house, the wire coming in from outside is different. It is shielded copper and the ground is different as well.

Old 07-19-07, 09:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is there a junction box somewhere? You can't splice in conduit. Are there "ells" with covers or other fittings? If so with power off carefully remove cover and look don't touch. You might have an non-code splice.