changing 220 to two 110 receptacles

Old 07-19-07, 12:45 PM
changing 220 to two 110 receptacles

I have a 220 line going to an electric heat baseboard in a room that I don't need heat. The wiring has 1 black 1 white and 1 bare ground wire. The breaker has a double breaker setup (piggyback) that says 20. Is there a way that I wire this to change this to 2 110 receptacles in the room? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-07, 12:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can change this circuit to one 120V circuit that has 2 receptacles on it. Remove the white wire from the 2-pole breaker and terminate it on the neutral bar. Replace the 240V receptacle with a 120V receptacle. Wire a second receptacle as a downstream device from the first receptacle.

Old 07-19-07, 01:23 PM
Thanks IP. I am totally dumb when it comes to electricity. Two questions if I may ask! Where is the neutral bar and how many amps is a receptacle good for after this procedure?

Old 07-19-07, 01:32 PM
The circuit will still be good for 20 amps. Only it will be 20 amps at 120 volts, instead of 20 amps at 240 volts.

If you don't know what a neutral bar, then you either need to learn or you need to pay an electrician to do this job. There are connections in the circuit breaker panel that can and will kill you.

Start by buying a book on home wiring, one that details circuit breaker panels. "Wiring Simplified" is a good one to start with. When done reading, if you still think you can tackle this job, then post back and we can answer the next set of questions you will have.

Old 07-19-07, 02:01 PM
Once you take the panel cover off, it'll be obvious where the neutral bar is. It'll be where most of the white wires terminate. However, working inside the panel is not generally recommended for a novice. There is substantial danger there, and it cannot be completely removed (as you can for an outlet simply by turning off the breaker). If done improperly, you can get killed doing nothing more complicated than removing the panel cover.

Note that although Bob recommended some reading, most books you find in the home center don't tell you much about working inside the panel. That's because most people who shop at the home center probably shouldn't be doing such work.

Old 07-19-07, 02:49 PM
The circuit breaker box I'm talking about is a small one in the upstairs closet. It isn't the main box in the cellar. If I turn the upstairs main breaker off will it be safe to remove the cover then?

Old 07-19-07, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to turn off the breaker in the cellar panel that feeds the upstairs subpanel. If you do not know which breaker feeds the subpanel, turn off the main breaker in the cellar. Once that's completed, it's much safer to work in the subpanel. Be sure to take note in the upstairs subpanel that the bare ground wire and white wire should go to different bars in the subpanel (although they may go to the same one if this is an old house). Look at the other circuits in the panel to see where the white and bare wires go. The white neutral wire must have its own screw on the neutral bar.

Old 07-19-07, 04:24 PM
Thanks again Ib. On the other end of the project I believe that the black (hot) goes on the brass screw, the white (neutral) on the silver screw and the ground on the green screw on my 20 amp-125w receptacle am I correct?

Old 07-20-07, 08:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> On the other end of the project

Correct.

Old 07-20-07, 10:11 AM
Project complete and working. Thanks again Ib.

Old 07-20-07, 01:42 PM
Just remember, what works is not necessarily safe. I hope you made the connections properly, or you could have an unsafe situation.