Remodel Kitchen: Counter circuits.

Old 07-19-07, 03:32 PM
Question Remodel Kitchen: Counter circuits.

Counter circuit #1 has 4 receptacles (3 counter, 1 Fridge) #2 has 3 (1 Dining room receptacle, 1 exhaust fan, 1 counter receptacle.)

Q: A new connected counter-space is 7 6: it has two existing receptacles that are 5 8 apart on circuit #1. Should I move the two existing receptacles closer together to get the spacing right? Or add a third wired in place of the exhaust fan I am removing on circuit #2?

Q: Another new counter-space next to the cooktop needs a receptacle: Can I add it to circuit #1 from a receptacle directly on the other side of the cooktop? Or should I run a new circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-07, 04:22 PM
Code requires two 20A circuits for countertop circuits. Nothing else should share these circuits. Receptacles must be every 2', not including sink. All outlets must be GFI protected.

Old 07-19-07, 04:38 PM
But

My understanding: Two receptacles serve an 8 foot counter if they are spaced 4 feet apart. No counter space is more than 2 feet from a receptacle. If a fridge is rated at 3.9 amps it shouldn't overwhelm a 20 amp circuit. Dining room receptacles are an exception. And I will convert the exhaust fan to a countertop receptacle or abandon the wire.

Old 07-19-07, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fridge cannot be on countertop circuit per NEC.

Countertop circuit can only power counter top receptacles; no fridge, disposal, dishwasher, or other room may share the same circuit as a countertop.

Old 07-19-07, 04:50 PM
Is my book out of date?

"The NEC... permits the receptacle for the refrigerator to be connected to any one of the two required 20 amp small-appliance branch-circuits, 210.52(B)(1)."

-p. 275 Electrical Wiring Residential 2005 NEC 15th Edition

Old 07-19-07, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you going to plug your fridge into a COUNTERTOP receptacle?

Old 07-19-07, 05:49 PM
No the fridge is not plugged into a receptacle that serves the counter, but it is on a circuit with receptacles that do. See my original post.

Thanks

Old 07-19-07, 05:54 PM
The refrigerator may be on the counter top circuit. This allowed, but not a good idea. This is true whether the refrigerator receptacle is directly behind the refrigerator or on the counter top.

The exhaust fan has to go. It cannot be on a counter top circuit.

Don't move the existing receptacles, add a new one to achieve proper spacing.
Spacing dictates no more than two feet from the end of the counter, no more than two feet from the edge of the sink, and no more than four feet between them.

I try to space out receptacles so that adjacent receptacles alternate circuits, making it easier to plug something in to a different circuit.

Old 07-19-07, 06:03 PM
Thank you all very much. I'm trying hard to keep my questions simple. I suppose my concern about extra circuits, and spending money on copper, will be offset by the DIY thing.

Old 07-19-07, 06:12 PM
Do not short change yourself to save money. In the long run it is not worth it.

Old 07-20-07, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you have to adhere to the NEC 2' spacing rule, also give some thought to where you plan on placing small appliances and where you'll use them. You might find it makes sense to add an extra receptacle here or there to handle those always plugged in appliances.