Can I install a GFCI in existing 14/3 cable box?

Old 07-20-07, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Can I install a GFCI in existing 14/3 cable box?

I have an existing outlet box on my home's exterior patio wall. The box was used by original (1988) electricians to feed a common 14/3 cable to the box, then split 115 power to the kitchen dishwasher and the disposal.

Feed from the 15 amp circuit breakers come into the box via the 14/3 cable as R, W, B and G. These wires are mated in the box to some wire to/from the hard wired kitchen appliances as R/Y, W/W, B/O and G/G. I'm not clear to which 115 V appliance the Y and O are going to.

I would like to place a 15 amp GFCI in this exterior box, to be used to feed a 300 watt low voltage power pack for some outdoor lighting. Can this done? If so, how? Thanks for any responses.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-07, 07:38 PM
Of course it can be done. Just make all connections to the GFCI receptacle on the LINE terminals. Put nothing on the LOAD terminals.

You didn't say how the original receptacle was wired, but one set of wires (either the set mated with the red power wire or the set mated with the black power wire) wonl;t get connected to the GFCI receptacle.

Old 07-20-07, 08:33 PM
Wink Installing a GFCI on a 14/3 cable splitting to two appliances

There was no receptacle in the existing box; it was merely for access to the cables so they could be split to the two appliances. The box was then blanked off on the outside wall. The GFCI instructions give warning to use a licensed electrician if cables in/out are more complex than 14/2. If I read correctly I can tie either a red or black to the Line side, followed by a white out the other Line, and tie a ground. Please bear with me, I'm only a Chemical Engineer ... who doesn't want to burn his home down, so the vendo warning gave me pause! Thanks again.

Old 07-21-07, 05:36 AM
Yes, tie either the red or the black to the LINE hot terminal, and the whites to the LINE neutral terminal. Connect up the ground and you will have your receptacle.

Understand that the receptacle will share the circuit with whatever else is on that half, either dishwasher or disposal. While this is legal, I don't like it and I wouldn't do it.