undercabinet lighting

Old 07-21-07, 08:51 PM
undercabinet lighting

I have a couple of questions about undercabinet lighting. I purchased a set of five halogens lights that are designed to be put in under a cabinet. The lights are designed to be plugged in, but I don't like the tangle of wires that leaves. I decided to direct wire them to an existing light switch. I ran the lights into a junction box installed behind the wall, above the counter. I wired them directly to some romex 12/2 that I pulled into the attic. In the attic I connected the cabinet lighting romex to an existing 12/2 line - connecting an existing light and the undercabinet lights into an existing light switch (in an junction box). Is this safe? I just finished and the wall is still open and I started to wonder if wiring designed to be plugged in was okay to be tied directly into a 12/2 line...Also - does my junction box need to be anything more than a metal box into which I run the wires and cap them (with tape)? Oh- and one more question - the 12/2 has a ground...which terminates in the new junction box - what should I do with that. My circuit has plenty of wattage to spare - so I'm not worried about that, and everything works when I flip the breaker...so - I just wanted to make sure.

wiltitan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-07, 04:42 AM
Everything that works is not safe. This is not safe. You cannot run the wires from theses lights into the wall and terminate them in a junction box. These wires are not the proper gage (thickness) or type for in wall use, and they will overheat and could cause a fire.

You should have installed one or more receptacles inside cabinets, and run the cords and plugs to the receptacles (or to any receptacle) to plug them in as normal.

Old 07-23-07, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the advice. I just finished it wiring the way you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to steer me straight...it looks clean and is wired correctly.

Tony