Installation/wiring of Cadet Heater

Old 07-22-07, 11:04 AM
Installation/wiring of Cadet Heater

Greetings,
I need some clarification on my installation of my Cadet inwall fan heaters. The exact model I have information sheet is fount here: http://www.cadetco.com/support/ownersguides/1002.pdf

I have the heaters (2) installed. I was originally informed that I should use 12/3 wire, but the heaters only have 2 wires inside with a ground. This is in an upstairs room. Can I use a junction box to convert the 12/3 to 12/2 and run 12/2 to my panel?

This unit is to be run 240v. I have 2 of them that are wired in parallel with a single wire going to my panel. A) is that correct or should both have their own circuit. B) What should I purchase for a breaker? If each unit has the ability to run 2000 wats, according to my math and 240v, I need a 30 AMP Double Pole Breaker.

Is that correct? Any other suggestions/thoughts?

thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-07, 11:37 AM
2000W on a 240V circuit is less than 8.5A. Two units would be about 17A. And you must protect #12 wires with no more than a 20A breaker in these types of installations anyway. But then it does exceed 80% of the circuit ampacity, slightly.

I would put each on a separate circuit, but I also have no experience will this kind of heating.

Yes, you can change the 12/3 to 12/2 but the j-box will have to stay accessible in a crawl space or blank wallplate. How much money will you save running the cheaper cable for the home run?

Old 07-22-07, 12:18 PM
To be honest, it isn't about saving money. The 12/3 is already run to the panel from my 2nd floor. I am just not sure what to do with the 3rd wire.

If I move forward with 2 circuits instead of 1, what size would they need to be? Also, each unit is 240v and configured for 2000w.

Lastly, inside the heater, where wiring is hooked up, according to directions, I have Red to Red, Black to Black and ground to unit leaving the white wire of the 12/3 capped off. At the panel, if I am using a double pole breaker, do both the red and black go into the breaker with the ground obviously going to my ground?

thanks.

Brett

Old 07-22-07, 01:26 PM
You won't use the white wire. Cap it off at the j-box to the heater and then you can do the same at the panel; just label it so the next guy knows why it isn't connected. Or, you could go ahead and land it on the neutral buss, as it just won't do anything anyway.

If you go with two circuits, they could be #14 wire on 15A breakers, or just leave them on #12 wires and 20A breakers, which is what I would do.

Of course, if the manufacturer's instructions say anything different, go with what they say.

Yes, red and black both land on the breaker when they are used as the two hots; they can land in any order.

If you had used 12/2, it would have been okay to use the white as the second hot, but you color it with tape or a marker so that it isn't white, grey or green.