A question for the CODE guys

Old 07-22-07, 03:31 PM
A question for the CODE guys

A buddy of mine just gave me a NEC CD as a belated house warming gift. It says..............National Electrical code..Tenth edition...International code series...Including the full text from the 2005 NEC.

I know its only good for another few months , but is this any different than the "Actual NEC code book?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-07, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it has the full text of the 2005 NEC then it IS the NEC book, only on CD.

To say it is only good for a few more months may not be correct. The 2008 NEC is not even available yet and many areas will not adopt it right on 1/1/08. Check with your local building dept to see what cycle you are under now and what you will be under come Jan. 1.

Old 07-22-07, 03:44 PM
Thank you...He Jokingly told me it was the " Electrical code for Dummies" version. I Have a "Pissy" neighbor who complains about everything based on the Previous owners. I have some things about the house that I dont think are "code worthy", and I want them straightened out before the Inspector shows up un-announced.

Old 07-22-07, 04:05 PM
It usually takes a year here before adopting the new NEC. That is a very handy reference.

Let me know how the search feature works. The one I had a few years ago was very lousy.

It also required me to load it twice before I could use it. The first one would freeze and crash every single time, the second one would work fine. Never did figure it out.

Old 07-22-07, 05:36 PM
nap
A YEAR??? I do work in Indiana and Michigan. Michigan often does not accept a code update until the next cycle is oout, or nearly so. That means we could be on the '05 until nearly '11 if things work as usual up here.

I have had the NEC on CD. As a matter of fact, I have the '05 on my machine now. All in all I have had no trouble with it. It is always harder for me to find things on the computer simply because I cannot just leaf through but rather are pinpointed to location. If I am thinking wrong, that makes it hard to find things.

Old 07-22-07, 05:50 PM
So , basically , a residential setting, and an ambition to get things in order, I should be safe with 05' for a bit? Does the code change "Drastically" between cycles?
Nap......If you can walk me thru "Sending a PM"-( I;m basically Illiterate to messaging outside our cozy lil room here-) I downloaded a keyword index in PDF, Its pretty thourough, if you;d like a copy , your welcome to it.

Old 07-22-07, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Code changes, hopefully, are going to be subtle. They usually are. What you can do is use the 05 CD and buy a 2008 "changes" addendum (if they still publish them), which you can refer to once you have found on the CD what you are looking for. Find that section in the addendum and see if changes were made.

Old 07-22-07, 09:04 PM
Just a heads up. The national electrical code book generally isn't something that is easily applied accurately by just reading it as a nonprofessional. Frankly, it takes a heck of a lot of formal study and field work using the code to get comfortable finding your way to the correct application. A good DIY residential electrical book is often a better place to get your information when trying to correct issues with home wiring. The NEC code book is a great reference but maybe not the best for a homeowner. I'm not saying throw it in the trash, I'm just saying that if your not familiar with it can be difficult to apply correctly. It doesn't always say what you think it does.

Roger

Old 07-22-07, 09:35 PM
In the near term I have a kitchen remodel planned, and the long term I'd like to replace any remaining original NM cable from 1955 with newer NM cable with ground. Are there any major enough changes in the code that will make me want to finish these projects before 1/1/08?

Old 07-22-07, 10:26 PM
Even in CA, I would be surprised if you were under the 2008 NEC that soon, but please find out and let us know.

From what I hear, the 2008 NEC will require much more expensive AFCI breakers on all branch circuits instead of just the ones that feed a bedroom outlet (a term that includes lights and smoke detectors, etc.)

I will say that I personally think AFCIs are a payback for a bribery. I see no reason for them to even be required in bedrooms. I have asked many times for evidence that they save lives and haven't seen it yet. I only say this because I don't want you to assume you should get them just because they must be safer if the new code will require it. Do your own research.

Old 07-23-07, 06:10 AM
Just as a point of reference, I had my home built in 2004, and we were still on the 2000 code model. My area didn't adopt the 2004 codes until 2005. We probably won't be on 2008 codes until 2012.

I know 2008's require 'tamper proof' electrical outlets through out the home, but I can't recall having seen any such outlets in stores. I've seen the cover plates with the rotating blade holes, but not the outlet itself.

Old 07-23-07, 02:44 PM
nap
I have installed such receps actually about 10 years ago. They were in a school in the classerooms for the special ed kids. Made us put sleeves on the flourescent tubes in the lights as well. The had a blocking piece in the recep that would not allow you to install something in just one slot. You had to push on both slot blocks at the same time to insert a plug. I am sure they came from a supply house but don;t know if they were special order or not. Betting they were though.

Come on over to Indiana. Right now, they are currently opting out AFCI's and in use covers for outside receps. I suspect unless things change drastically around here, they will still except out AFCI's this time around as well.

Can't remember if Mi accepted them this time or not. I remember when the first code requiring AFCI's ('99 or '02 can't remember which) Michigan opted out of the requirement then.

Old 07-23-07, 03:17 PM
>remember when the first code requiring AFCI's ('99 or '02 can't remember which)

I'm thinking 99, as that's the electrical code mine was built to in 2004 (everything else was 2000 code). I've got the AFCI's and the in use covers (but no waterproof covering under my siding. ), though I'm still not exactly sure what an AFCI is suppose to do. Since breakers rarely fail (though AFCI and GFCI's may be the exception) I don't see the added cost as being a real factor in their use or disuse. Other than they take up two spaces in the box, I'm indifferent to them.

Old 07-23-07, 03:34 PM
nap
http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/AFCI-HTML/HTML/AFCI_Questions_and_Answers~20030301.htm

there are a few answers there. If you can get back into the main index from that link, there are several sections that address AFCI, what they do and why we should love them.