Installed Hallway Light & Single Receptacle

Old 07-22-07, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installed Hallway Light & Single Receptacle

Hello,

I purchased a Pass & Seymour Enhanced Decorator Hallway Light & Single Receptacle TM8HWL. I bought it for the hallway near the bathroom for the kids to have light at night.

I shut off the breaker which was the breaker that also controlled my daughter's room. I removed the old electrical outlet which was a common double. It had two black wires connected to one side and two white connected to the other with the bare on top. I undid all of them and capped the black and white wires that were connected to the top receptacle. The Enhanced Decorator Hallway Light & Single Receptacle TM8HWL only has one hot and one neutral connection as well as the ground. I first connected the white and black that was on the bottom plug of the old outlet (and capped the other white and black separately). When I turned the breaker back on, the outlet and light did not work. I turned the breaker back off. I uncapped the first white and black that were originally connected to the top plug on the old outlet and put them in the place of the first ones I used, then capped the ones I took off (separately). I then turned the breaker back on and the outlet and light worked.

I then went to turn on the light in my daughter's room and now there is no power going to the ceiling light, but there is to my daughter's receptacles. Did the ones I capped "break" a circuit somewhere? Should I have combined the whites and screwed them on the neutral tab together and the blacks on the hot tab?

In summary, old receptacle used two whites and two black wires that were connected. New receptacle has space for one white and one black. Used one set of wires and "capped" the other two. Receptacle works but light in daughter's room now doesn't.

Any info would be great, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-07, 07:35 PM
If you have a ckt tester, There will be a powered black wire in the box , and a black that goes off to the "Next in the string, outlet. Look at the direction sheet that came with the equipment you installed. Its possible that the power needs to go in a specified location, not just black to black , white to white.

Old 07-22-07, 07:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The circuit passed "through" the receptacle, and all the blacks must remain tied to each other, as well as the whites together. By breaking on the cold side, you got nothing. By breaking on the hot side you got your light, but nothing downline, which was probably your daughter's room. By keeping the blacks together and the whites together, you will have continuity throughout. Post back if we can help further.

Old 07-22-07, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
One pair of wires brought power into that box. The other pair fed power downstream to other parts of the circuit.

Add a short pigtail of wire and cap with a wire nut. The other end will go on the screws on the receptacle. Do this for both the blacks and whites, separately of course.

Old 07-22-07, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately I don't have one of those testers. Not really sure what it is actually. I did go by the instructions and it only shows one "hot" wire connecting to one side and only "one" neutral connecting to the other. There is nothing about having two of each and what to do with them. The plug/light receptacle work... the issue is the ceiling light in the bedroom.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Old 07-22-07, 07:40 PM
ooooooooooooopppps.
I missed that last line. YES , the capped ones must be combined. Dont double them up on the screws, but rather a "Pigtail " arrangement,and that should get you back to normal.

Old 07-22-07, 07:42 PM
Wow you guys are quick...!!! Ok.. Gotcha... So I need to pigtail the two blacks together and form one black going to the "hot" part of the plug, and pigtail the two whites together and form one white going to the "neutral"...

Thanks!

Old 07-22-07, 07:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just remember left and right mean nothing. The black goes to the brass screw. The white goes to the silver screw. Bare wires must be pigtailed together and go to the "greenish" screw. (If the box is metal the ground[(bare] must all so go to the box ground screw.)

Old 07-22-07, 07:58 PM
Roger that... Thanks everyone for your prompt responses!