Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

INSTALL Single Pole Motion Detector Switch TO 3-Way Light Switch

Old 07-23-07, 12:29 AM

My Home Depot only carries the Heath/Zenith 6105 Single Pole Motion Detector Switch. I want to install this onto a 3-Way Light Switch. Is this possible? If so, how can it be done? It doesn't matter if the second switch works or not. The Motion Detector has 3 wires, two black (live/hot & neutral) and one green (ground). The Wall Switch has 4 wires, one black (live/hot/common), one white (neutral), one red (traveller?) and one copper (ground). Do I have the colours (wire type) right? I live in Canada and my home is a new build.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-07, 04:25 AM
New post, new thread.

I am not familiar with Canadian rules, but in the US certain places in a house require two switches, so abandoning one switch would not be allowed.

To install a single pole switch in place of two three way switches, simply connect the two traveler wires to one terminal of the switch, and the common wire to the other traveler switch.

In your case, you need a neutral at the switch. You won't have this if the switches are wired as a switch loop. However, you MAY be able to supply one. Unfortunately since you didn't tell us the wiring at either switch we can't speak to that part of the problem.