Securing Cables to Engineered Joists

Old 07-23-07, 07:46 AM
Securing Cables to Engineered Joists

I'm having a problem trying to figure out how to secure electrical cables that run along the floor joists supporting the second floor of my addition. They're engineered "I" joists, made with 1/2" particle board with wood 2x2s at top and bottom. The pressboard doesn't hold staples. I've also considered attaching pieces of 2x4s by screwing through the pressboard into the 2x4s, and stapling the cables to them, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Are there fasteners made specifically for securing Romex to these types of joists? My local Home Depot and Lowes have been no help, as ussual.

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-07, 11:14 AM
IF the cables are type NM. Non-metallic, "Stack-It's" may be the solution.

Good Luck !!!

Old 07-23-07, 11:23 AM
Yeah, what kind of staples are you using? The kind with the plastic saddle and two small nails on each side, designed for NM, should work for this. If running along the joist, you can also staple it to the inside edge of the wooden top or bottom, too.

This "pressboard" is OSB (Oriented-Strand Board), correct?

Old 07-23-07, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
Yeah, what kind of staples are you using? The kind with the plastic saddle and two small nails on each side, designed for NM, should work for this. If running along the joist, you can also staple it to the inside edge of the wooden top or bottom, too.

This "pressboard" is OSB (Oriented-Strand Board), correct?
Yes, it's OSB. I thought about stapling it to the top edge of the bottom piece of wood, which is about 2" thick, but I wasn't sure if 2" was far enough away from where I'll be attaching drywall. If that's acceptable, that's what I'll do.

And the staples I'm using are the regular metal staples, not the kind with the plastic saddle and nails.

Thanks,
John

Old 07-23-07, 12:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do not use regular staples. Use the NM cable staples made specifically for the job.

Old 07-23-07, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Do not use regular staples. Use the NM cable staples made specifically for the job.
Are these required by code? I've already finished wiring nearly all of two levels, and securing all the cables with metal staples. I used them several years ago when finishing my basement, and the rest of the cabling in the house (built 1989) is secured with metal staples as well.

John

Old 07-23-07, 01:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No, I don't think it's required by code, but they help prevent damage to the cable sheathing and conductors.

Old 07-23-07, 01:30 PM
And they should be right next to the metal staples (the ones in the electrical aisle) at HD and Lowe's, etc.

2" is fine, though, even 1-1/4", for normal drywall nail/screw clearance.

Old 07-23-07, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. The metal staples I've been using are leftovers from a previous project, and I didn't want them to go to waste. Next time I'll use the plastic ones.

John