drawings of home circuits

Old 07-23-07, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
drawings of home circuits

Does anyone know of a decent and easy-to-use program that the average homeowner can use to draw out new circuits on a nice readable sheet? I have a house gutted and a whole game plan in my head and on several sheets of tablet paper, on where the lights and receptacles will go, but it is starting to get messy and jumbled up.

I can sit down and redo all of my scratch on many nice clean sheets of paper but figured there has to be a program I can use to keep it in order and make changes where and when I want.

Anyone? Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-07, 06:55 PM
What do you mean by drawing out?

I would just use a word processor or a spreadsheet program and do what I needed.

Old 07-23-07, 07:08 PM
I use Pencil 2.0 myself.

Old 07-23-07, 07:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I don't know of any programs like you want. I find hand drawings to serve the need just fine most of the time. In fact, I think it's often easier just to numerically number devices on each circuit rather than drawing a picture of the room. For example, Circuit #2: north wall living room recept; Circuit #12 Kitchen small appliance; etc.

Old 07-23-07, 07:42 PM
I made the wife and kids maeasure all the rooms and locations of all the equipment, Put it on GRAPH paper, Scan a sheet of Graph paper and open it in any windows based Graphic program...I used PAINT, Grab some ICONS from one of the free sites, (There are loads of them) and paste them in.....Unfortunately , wire colors and routing you have to do freehand, but hey....Whatever works.

Old 07-24-07, 10:07 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Paint

Paint will allow drawing lines in different colors.

Old 07-24-07, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
As silly as it sounds, PowerPoint works pretty well. You can add and move icons easily, add connecting lines of any color that are anchored to the icons, etc. Granted, I wouldn't try doing anything to-scale, but for what you're looking for, you probably don't need it.

If you want to take a step up, I've also done architectural floorplans in MS Visio (a bit of a pain, and not cheap), and AutoCAD (not for the faint of heart).

There are a few "inexpensive" tools, but the ones I have used (don't recall their names) have been more work than they are worth.

For a single room, I agree with the others - a pencil, some graph paper and an eraser are the quickest and easiest way to lay it out.

-Mike

Old 07-24-07, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Broderbunds 3D Home Architect Deluxe 3.0 costs around $10 on the cheap software racks at Walmart or the office supply stores.

The symbols are premade and you can draw the rooms and let the program autoplacle the receptacles if you desire. It does have some quirks like not letting you move a smoke detector once it is placed, so you delete it and place another one. It also lets you draw the circuit lines.

All in all not bad for $10.

Old 07-24-07, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Whats your operating system? Microsoft is very limited as to free graphics and design/drawing programs.

Linux based Ubuntu and four or five other browsers have several excellent programs for what you want to do.........and they are free downloads.

Roger