Spa Planning Questions

Old 07-24-07, 10:57 AM
Spa Planning Questions

I'm doing a kitchen remodel, which is going to result in a cleaning up of the service panel. I plan to leave a spot in the panel to install a breaker for a spa at a future date. A few questions on the spa:

1. Is 50A, 240V adequate?
2. What size wire would I need? I'm looking at about 50 feet from the panel to the likely spa location.
3. What size conduit would I need?
4. Alternately, I may be able to keep the conduit length under 24" by running the conduit from the outdoor panel to the crawl space, then running the wiring under the house. In that case, what size conduit would I need?

Also, an unrelated question - what is the typical height for range and refrigerator receptacles?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-07, 11:15 AM
1. Maybe, maybe not. Don't worry about this now.

2. Don't worry about this now.

3. Install one and a quarter inch or larger for greatest flexibility.

4. Install conduit the entire length. This will likely be needed anyway.

Install the conduit. Decide on wire and breaker size AFTER you decide what you want.

Old 07-24-07, 11:51 AM
Just making sure that there wasn't a break point between, say, 50A - 60A for conduit size. So I'll run with the 1-1/4" conduit, thanks.

Old 07-24-07, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
> What size conduit would I need?

Don't install the breaker or the wire until you have a spa picked out. Instead, install 1-1/4" PVC conduit from the main panel to an exterior disconnect box location. You don't even need to install the disconnect, just leave the conduit a few inches long and cap it so you can cut it open and glue on a fitting later. The placement of the disconnect will depend on the placement of the tub, so don't commit to the location yet unless you know for certain where the tub will sit. The disconnect needs to be within line of sight of the tub, but no closer than 5'. For service and maintenance, you will also need a 20A GFCI receptacle within roughly 25', but no closer than 5' of the tub; this may be a good time to install that also.

> typical height for range

Roughly in the center of the opening side-to-side. Recessed, about 12" from the floor; surface mount at or near the floor with some slack cable left in the wall or floor so the box can be moved left or right if needed. If you have the range already picked out, look at the back to see where there will be the most room once it's pushed into position.

> refrigerator receptacles?

About the same height as the countertop receptacles, so when you're leaning over the counter to reach behind the fridge it's roughly at chest/eye height.

Old 07-27-07, 03:28 PM
One more spa planning question - the spa will need GFCI protection. Must that be at the main service panel, or can I put in a subpanel with the GFCI breaker? Just trying to figure out how much space I need to leave at the main service panel.

Old 07-27-07, 04:25 PM
You can provide GFCI protection anywhere. I would, however, do so at the spa panel, not at the main panel.