Changing Outlets

Old 07-25-07, 03:28 PM
Question Changing Outlets

I have about 5 outlets in my apartment that the plugs just fall out of and so since my landlord wasn't doing anything about it I went to Lowe's and bought new receptors and went home to replace them. I did read up on it and asked my boss some hints but it didn't sound too difficult. When I removed the existing outlet from the wall to disconnect it....the back is different from everyone told me and I cannot disconnect the wires. Instead of screws I found it connected to the back and there is a place that says press to release wire but I pressed everywhere (with the smallest screwdriver I could find) and there was no releasing of the wires. Does anyone have any helpful hints on what I can do??? I would really appreciate it

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-07, 03:46 PM
In an apartment you are not allowed to change receptacles unless you are a licensed electrician.
To remove the wires cut them off close to the receptacle and restrip the end. Put them under the screws of the new receptacles. Check the tabs on the side of the old receptacles and make sure the new match the old ones.

Old 07-25-07, 03:50 PM
First of all, you shouldnt be doing any unauthorized work in somebody elses building, it is NOT legal and it may leave you open to all sorts of liabilty issues in the event that something should go wrong. More pressure on the landlord should be your first step, inform him/her that you plan to hire a qualified electrician to do the work (if he/she refuses to do it), and that the bill will be deducted from the rent. This usually grabs the attention of unattentive landlords.

However, if you still prefer to DIY it is fairly simple.

These are known as "backstab" receptacles and are notorious for failures of this type.

Removal of the wire should be fairly easy, First you must turn off the power to these receptacles, then you need to have a small screwdriver that will fit in the notch above the wire , once you get the screwdriver in there it just takes a good push on the driver and a little tug on the wire and it should let go.

If the wire refuses to let go (unlikely) then you can always take very good note of where each wire is on the receptacle and then cut the wire free from the receptacle and restrip the appropiate amount and then reconnect the wires to the new receptacle. Be sure to tighten all the screws snugly.

Old 07-25-07, 03:52 PM
Smile

Thank you for the advice. I didn't want to do this myself but my landlord doesn't live near where the residence is and they said if I wanted to I could do it.

Again thank you
RLC360

Old 07-25-07, 06:14 PM
Understand that even if your landlord says you can do this, you legally cannot. If a fire were to happen as a result of your work, or if it could even remotely be tied to your work, you would likely be liable.

Older back stabbed connections tend to be stuck, and need persuasion, or just to be cut.

Last edited by racraft; 07-26-07 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 06:22 PM
At the very least ,mention the idea of hiring an electrician to replace the plugs and simply deduct the bill from the rent for the month. Your landlord may go for this idea if they live far enough away, the cost of them taking the time to travel to your apartment ,the travel costs itself and the time spent doing the work may be worth more than an electrician would charge to simply change 5 recptacles. If you really dont want to do it yourself it may be a viable option for both.

Old 07-26-07, 12:02 PM
I don't believe the landlord is legally allowed to do the work either if he is not an electrician.

Call an electrcian, not a handyman.

Old 07-26-07, 06:30 PM
If the landlord is the property owner, problem solved.