max panel size on 200 amp meter

Old 07-26-07, 08:23 PM
max panel size on 200 amp meter

Hello,

I have 2 meters on a 200 amp supply to my house.

What are the maximum size panels I can hook up? Can I hook up more than 2 x 100 amp panels?

Thanks,
Hilbert

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-07, 05:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The sum of the main breakers cannot exceed 200A.

Old 07-27-07, 05:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is the rating of each meter socket?
Are there main breakers installed?
Are there any service entrance cables on the load side of the meters?

"The sum of the main breakers cannot exceed 200A."

Where is this written???

Old 07-27-07, 07:28 AM
I'm meeting with the power company sometime next week to figure out all the meter specs, so I'm just trying to get some more information beforehand.

There are no breakers at the meter. The service entrance cables go straight from the meters to the panels.

Currently I have a 200amp panel on one meter and a 30amp lug box on the other, which drivers a water heater.

I need to balance things differently as I'm trying to get a heatsmart rate for our geothermal unit. I was hoping to be able to take out the 200 amp panel and the lug box and install two 125amp panels.

-hilbert

Old 07-27-07, 09:34 AM
Talk with your power company. There probably is some reason that that other meter only supplies the water heater, likely based on the rate it gets.

Old 07-27-07, 09:45 AM
I do not know if this is still done anywhere, but in years past some power companies used to require that electric water heaters be turned off during the late afternoon/early evening hours. Those hours being 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. or something similar, when people where using their electric ovens to cook dinner. This was to avoid excessive electricity use which might cause brownouts.

The water heater was limited either by a separate meter which included a timer or by a separate feed from the regular meter which was on a timer.

Because times have changed and electricity demand is higher now anyway because of more air conditioners and such, and because fewer people are using their oven every day, most areas of the country abandoned this practice.

However, you may have the remnants of this setup.

Old 07-27-07, 10:20 AM
I have the water heater on the separate meter for a reduced rate. That will have to be changed back to normal, until I get everything in order for heatsmart.

Old 07-28-07, 11:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> Where is this written??

I was under the impression he had two main panels fed from a single 200A meter base. It seems that is not the case.