Ground Current

Old 07-27-07, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ground Current

Can someone please explain ground currents, in layman's terms please? I know this is complicated but I'm curious. From what little I know, the neutral carries unused (voltage or electric?) back to a transformer or substation through the earth because the neutral is insufficient. Am I even close...
Anyway, what I was really wondering is where does this current go? If it does travel back to a substation, why is it directed there? Or what attracts it to go back there? Why back to the source, if this is even what's happening Hopefully you understand my question...

Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-07, 07:01 PM
The neutral is the return path for the current back top the transformer. In a properly working system, there is no current on the ground wires and ALL the current enters and leaves the house on the two hot wires and the neutral.

Old 07-28-07, 06:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
"From what little I know, the neutral carries unused (voltage or electric?) back to a transformer or substation through the earth because the neutral is insufficient. Am I even close..."

Sorry but no, this is not even close. This whole statement is off the mark.

This subject is hard to go into on a message board, unless of course someone wants to type for quite a while.
I suggest you find some web sites that already have this information. If I can find some I'll post them.