replacing pull switch to light on ceiling fan

Old 07-28-07, 03:08 AM
Post replacing pull switch to light on ceiling fan

I used to have a ceiling light with a pull switch. I replaced it with a ceiling fan and light. There is no switch on the wall - it is controled by the pull chains on the fan and on the light. The light pull switch went bad, so Hunter sent me a replacement pull switch. Inside of the light there are 4 black wires and 5 white wires. 4 of each goes to a light, I don't know if the 5th needs to be attached somewhere. There are 2 wires coming from the fan, one white and one that is black and white. On the new pull switch, there is one black and white and one solid black. I need to know how to hook up these wires ( I didn't take notes when I took everything apart, not thinking it would take a couple of weeks to get a replacement part) I don't remember how it came apart. Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-07, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You aren't going to like the answers you will receive, so get ready. You did one of the major faux pax's of electrical work. You didn't take notes, pictures, etc. of how things came apart.
Do you still have the old switch? It will give you an idea as to what went where.
You say "inside the light", and I am assuming you have a 4 lamp fixture, right? All the white wires need to be capped together. Determine where the 5th black wire goes and let us know.

Old 07-28-07, 04:36 AM
This replacement switch is for the light. Attach one side to the incoming hot power wire, and the other side to the hot wires for the light. The hot wires are the black ones. The whites are all neutrals.

Old 07-29-07, 07:34 PM
Question still don't understand

It is indeed a four-light fixture. coming from each light there is one white and one black wire all wired together. Out of the white wires, there is a single white wire and I don't where it goes. Coming out of the fan there are two wires, 0ne white and one black and white. How do I connect the switch and fan wires back together?
Thanks for the replies
Mary

Old 07-30-07, 04:27 AM
I don't understand your question.

The black power wire gets connected to the black wires. The white wires get connected together. The black and white wire from the fan is considered a black wire.

Old 07-30-07, 07:26 PM
Question Still trying

Let's start with the switch. It has a black wire and a grey and white wire. How do I hook this into the fan; then where does that 5th white wire from the lighting fixture get hooked to.
Thank you for your patience.
Mary

Old 07-30-07, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Did the old switch have a black, gray, and white wire?

Old 07-30-07, 10:34 PM
still at it

2 wires - one black - one grey and black.
Mary

Old 07-31-07, 05:12 AM
Mary,

I will try once again.

Black wires, including the white with black are hot wires.

The solid white wires are neutral wires.

All the neutral wires get connected together.

The black wires for lights (all four of them) get connected to side of the switch, and the incoming hot power wire gets connected to the other side of the switch.

If those directions do not make sense, then I suggest that you call an electrician. I cannot make those instructions any easier.

Old 08-01-07, 08:39 PM
Smile Thanks again

You have done an excellent job of explaining and it is appreciated. I will let you know how it comes out.
Mary