What does FiOS installation need?

Old 07-31-07, 02:59 PM
W
wgc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What does FiOS installation need?

I am probably going to order Verizon FiOS, but am wondering if anyone has any info about what the installation needs and what goes where. It must need power but will they install that or should I run a receptacle somewhere ahead of time? How close is close enough? Will they insist on everything being at the point of entry where the current demarc is?

I am in the process of setting up a data/comm panel on the wall of my basement about 10' from the current entry point/demarc. I have home runs for phone, cable, and network cabling ending up there, and plan to run a dedicated circuit to power switches, routers, etc. Would this be a good place for the FiOS equipment and would they install it here? How much panel space would they need? Would the battery need special structural support?

Old 07-31-07, 03:12 PM
R
If you ask the Verizon they will gladly answer all your questions.

They want to put the ONT (optical network terminator) box on the outside of your house. However, if you request then to, they will place it inside the house as long as it is reasonable. Remember, the fiber optic cable doesn't bend.

The battery is generally placed inside the house (so that it cannot be stolen and so that it is protected) and comes with it's own case.

The battery needs power. The closer the receptacle is the easier it is for them to do the installation. They can, however, run the power a considerable distance if need be. The power to the battery is low voltage.

Remember that the battery back up does not provide power for the Internet connection. it only provides phone power. You may want to consider using a UPS to provide power for the transformer that feeds the battery.

Last edited by racraft; 07-31-07 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-31-07, 03:47 PM
J
Fiber-optic cable does bend, but it doesn't bend sharply (or rather, if it does, it doesn't work any more).

Old 08-01-07, 12:42 AM
D
ddr
Just to add to what racraft said, there are three main components with FiOS: the Optical Network Terminal (ONT), the ONT Power Supply (OPSU), and the Battery Backup Unit (BBU). According to the literature that came with mine, there are two types of ONT and three types of BBU (I assume thereís only one model of OPSU since they didnít mention any others). The OPSU and BBU are both mountable units and large enough that you wouldnít want them in your living room or a hallway. The ONT is even bigger. My OPSU and BBU are mounted to a joist in my basement (and the BBU takes up the joist by itself).

Regardless of the type, the principle is the same: power goes from a standard receptacle to the OPSU (it has about a 9í cord), then a line runs from the OPSU to the BBU, and a final (power) line goes from the BBU to the ONT. As racraft said, the line from the BBU to the ONT is custom wired so it can be a good distance from the BBU. The phone and cable lines from your present system(s) are used and connect to the ONT so, if the ONT is outside only one hole is made in the house (for the power line from the BBU to the ONT.

As for data connections, the wireless router that came with mine is fed from a coax line. An ethernet cable then goes from the router to the computer (or you can go wireless). The router comes with a plug in transformer.

Ask the Verizon people as many questions as you can think of, but remember that youíre talking to a salesperson who gets a commission for the sale; itís the installation tech who is going to give you all the real answers (unfortunately you canít speak with them until they are at your house).

For example, I was concerned about the ONT box and where it would go on my house. I was told the ONT can go in the basement -- no problem, I thought. When the installation tech came he explained it could be done but it would be better on the outside. For one reason (as Bob and John mentioned), fiber optic lines can only bend so much. Another reason he mentioned is the ONT is now the phone interface; there are two RJ-11 jacks in the ONT which become the phone company testing location, your phone service runs from terminals right below the jacks -- if there is a dial tone there, thereís one in the house. So, if you have static on the line or canít get a dial tone, just bring a phone to the ONT and plug it in; if thereís a dial tone or no static or what have you, then the problem is with your wiring. If the problem still exists at the ONT, itís a Verizon issue. Now you can call them and they can come check/fix the line or even replace the whole ONT without entering your house -- no service call fee. If the box is inside, they have to come in to check, which means a service fee even if they find the problem is with their equipment (at least here in NYC).

Also check to see if your locality requires them to leave your existing copper lines in place so you can switch to another company with little hassle. Iíve read that in areas where they take the copper wire down you are charged for reinstalling them if you want to switch to another company.

Old 08-01-07, 05:03 AM
R
Apparently Verizon uses different equipment all over the country, so don't take all this information as gospel and expect your setup to be the same.

My ONT has no jacks whatsoever. Regular phone line exits the box to a traditional network interface jack, and cat-5 cables exits the box and is run to where I wanted it in the house.

One other comment regarding the size of the equipment. Fiber optic cable cannot be cut, at least not easily. The line from the street to the house is a fixed length. Where I live the excess cable is coiled and is attached to the back of the ONT.

Old 08-01-07, 05:39 AM
heres a link to verizon on FIOS install
http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/about+installation/about+installation.htm

as to fiber "not bending" the bend radios of fiber is similar to that of cat 5 copper cable.

Old 08-01-07, 06:57 AM
I
DDR pretty much summed it up....as for problems after installation, we had a couple but were only power related. The installer didn't plug in the power supply well into the unit. This caused the battery backup to kick in and start beeping. Another guy came out and pulled the power pak, but he didn't plug it in well and the whole thing died again. He came right back out and fixed it though. Also make sure the guys digging with the ditch witch miss your sprinkler lines if there. They hit one of mine, but had Dallas Sprinkler out next morning. What's interesting is the router actually runs the internet and the menu's on your tv's. We could change channel, but had no video feed ...very strange.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: