continue out door wiring.....

Old 08-01-07, 10:16 AM
continue out door wiring.....

might sound confusing here, but is pretty simple....I have a switch inside my house to control outside stair lighting.....bad thing is that the lighting is all bad (trips breaker), and the only way to make it good is to rip out concrete...so I disconnected the first light (direct wire from switch) and capped it off. I will not have the lighting anymore, and will replace with blanks..not a big deal, more for show than help. Now the question.....

I am building a pond near where the first light was, and would like to have an outlet near the pond for lighting and the pump......how can I do this?? Can I just run a outside rated line (what kind is that) in a conduit (again what kind) to the area I need it and attach a plug (again, what kind). It seams to be your normal everyday wire inside, and I would think this is simple, and would work since the power requirements I disconnected are pretty high..but I really don't know.......the total distance to run it is around 10 feet, most of it under rock...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-07, 10:56 AM
Yes, this wiring can be extended. How to do it depends on several factors. Is the wiring in conduit or is it just buried cable? If it is in conduit, is it individual conductors or a cable assembly?

Any wire that is buried outside must be waterproof, even if in conduit. UF (underground feeder) cable can be directly buried if buried deep enough. Deep enouigh depends on what is buried under. UF cable can also be spliced underground if you use an appropriate splice kit.

Your new receptacle needs to be in a waterproof (outdoor) box, with an "in-use" cover. The easiest way to place it is to attach it to a 4x4 post which is sticking up from the ground.

Please provide more details on your setup so we can better provide answers.

Old 08-01-07, 11:05 AM
the wire is buried under concrete, and is in a lighting receptacle mounted on the up/down portion of the first concrete stair. I plan to hard wire directly to the bare wire using grease connectors, and have the wire to the pond in conduit, small portion above ground, the rest buried shallow....I think that correct conduit is gray and flexible (used it in my swamp cooler after an inspection), but can't remember the name...but know where it is at Lowe's!!...thin something I think....outdoor plug mounted above ground on post....heck I will build a place for it within the rocks! ....to keep out of weather...if need be I will take a picture and post it on photobucket....

Old 08-01-07, 11:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
> would like to have an outlet near the pond for lighting and the pump

The first and most important step is to make sure the existing circuit can handle the load of what you want to add. Will the pump be a small 120V motor or a 240V unit? Is the old disconnected lighting the only load that was on that circuit?

> Can I just run a outside rated line (what kind is that) in a conduit
> (again what kind) to the area I need it

You can use THWN conductors in conduit or you can use type UF-B direct burial cable. Since you have rocky soil, I would recommend against UF-B cable as it can be damaged by sharp rocks over time. Furthermore, UF-B cable needs to be buried at least 12" and as much as 18" deep depending on the exact application. If you use THWN conductors in threaded metal conduit, you only need 6" depth which may make a huge difference in rocky soil.

> attach a plug (again, what kind).

You would need a GFCI receptacle in an outdoor-rated box with approved in-use "bubble" cover.

Old 08-01-07, 02:30 PM
Sunterra 3000 GPH Solids Handling Pump: Model 20300 120V pump....the circuit is attached to about 4 outlets inside before the switch, only one of which is used..............what about this??? Put a GFE plug directly onto the light receptacle and then plug in one of the outdoor post outlets?? that is 15' of cord, and the pump has 25'....I know that is probably too "riggy" but may solve the problem...probably better to just do it right and have the outlet at the pond in a correct outlet............does the conduit have to be buried??? I was looking at it and it is a straight shot to where I need it under a brick over hang............oy.......