help

Old 08-01-07, 08:56 PM
help

hi . I want to transfer power from a 220v oulet to a 110 v. and put it on a box
then i want to make 4 circuit breakers in the box of 110 v. to distribute into outlets. can anyone tell me how to do make distributor box. the reason that i need this its because I dj and I am always having power problems when I get to a house.
please help.. thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-07, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While you can do this, it may be harder than expected. You'll need to assume every location you go to has a similar 220v receptacle (dryer outlet or similar). Then there is quite a bit to make sure you get right in the distribution box to ensure it's safe.

Instead, I'd recommend investing in a couple heavy duty (12ga) 50' extension cords so you can pull 120v power from a few different places on different circuits. When I did this type of work, I found this to be much more flexible and pretty easy to locate 3 or 4 separate circuits for audio/lighting.

Just a suggestion. If you decide you do want to put together a distribution box, plan on spending probably $200-400 to build it out of "residential" equipment (breaker panel, breakers, cables, receptacles, gfi, etc) or more if you want it to be weatherproof, etc. They do also sell distro boxes that do this.

Hope this helps!