Outside light mounted without a junction box

Old 08-03-07, 10:50 AM
Outside light mounted without a junction box

I wanted to replace the outside light that is mounted on the wall next to our front door. I bought a new one with a motion sensor, and took the old one down. I noticed there is no junction box. How serious is this? The ungrounded cable(hot and neutral only) runs down from the ceiling to where the light is mounted. The wires run down between the back of the aluminum siding and tar paper. There is small hole cut into the siding just large enough to let the wires pass through. The mounting bracket for the original light fixture was mounted right against the siding, with 2 screws going into wood or anchors in block. The original light had its ground wire connected to the mounting bracket. Does this mean the light was grounded to the siding? Is this something I should change when installing the new light? If so, how would I properly ground the junction box (without replacing the wire with grounded cable) so that I can in turn properly ground the light?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-07, 11:06 AM
If your new light does not have a built in junction box, then you need to install one.

Old 08-03-07, 11:33 AM
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. I am just a little unclear about how to ground the box, since I will be surface mounting it to the wall, just behind the siding. Will it be ok if I just mount the box on the wall with the mounting screws going into either wood or block (I am not sure what it is yet)?

Old 08-03-07, 12:47 PM
The box is grounded to the ground wire in the cable.

Since there is no ground wire in the cable, the box is not grounded.

Old 08-03-07, 01:13 PM
Light

You will need a branch circuit which is properly grounded from the service panel.

Old 08-03-07, 01:15 PM
Technically yes, a new circuit is needed. However, if a junction box already existed the light could be replaced.

Old 08-03-07, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe not a code violation but I would be concerned that the wires run between the original house siding and the aluminum siding. That could easily permit damage by a fastener being driven into the siding. Probably OK but just a thought to consider.