Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

What brands should I stay away from in selecting housings for recessed lighting?

What brands should I stay away from in selecting housings for recessed lighting?

Old 08-06-07, 09:09 AM
Question What brands should I stay away from in selecting housings for recessed lighting?

I am installing recessed lights in my house. I need to use remodel IC type housings and want to use 5" and 4" cans. There are so many brands to choose from, so I wondered which ones I should stay away from. I've seen posts on other forums that said to stay away from Commercial Electric from "the Depot" but there was no reason given about why.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-07, 09:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They're all about the same. I suggest that you pick out a brand that offers the style of trim you want so you don't have to mix brands. In my opinion, many of the troubles come from mixing brands of cans and trim that don't quite match up properly.

Old 08-07-07, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd also consider that you usually get what you pay for. I've found it's worth spending an extra $2-$3 for the higher quality cans. Easier to mount, more mounting options, trim is generally easier to install, etc. But then again, once they are in the ceiling, you won't be touching them much.

Old 08-11-07, 11:59 PM
Stay away from offshore brands , stick with a "name" brand ,plus avoid mixing brands of cans and trims as they are listed with specific housing/trim/lamp combinations.

Old 08-12-07, 06:16 AM
Norcal has a good idea, but I don't know of any brand made in the USA anymore. Definitely look for the UL label, and general construction. Cheap often looks and feels cheap.