Installing a light

Old 08-06-07, 12:27 PM
Installing a light

Aparantly I didn't pay close enough attention when I took down my bathroom light fixture. I am trying to put up a new light fixture.

There are three large wires coming into the fixture. One is from the electrical box , one goes to the light switch, and one goes to the bathroom plug. I drew a picture of it:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v508/CdnSee/?action=view&current=electrical.jpg

I need to figure out how to install this light fixture now.... There are two bulbs on the fixture.

I don't know if this is important but before I Before I took the old light off and disconnected all the wires *DUH* the plug worked even when the light switch wasn't on.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-07, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you encounter any red wires, stop and post back. Otherwise, wirenut the following groups together:

All bare grounds, including light fixture ground if it has one.

Neutrals: white wire from power, white wire to receptacle, white wire to light fixture.

Hots: black wire from power, black wire to receptacle, white wire to switch.

Switched hot: black wire from switch, black wire from light fixture.

Old 08-06-07, 07:00 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.... Just to make sure I don't screw it up I wanted to check that the receptecle is the plug?

Old 08-06-07, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
No a plug isn't a receptacle but what you are calling a plug is a actually a receptacle. <G> (And I grew up calling them outlets which the pros here would take issue with also so we all learn.)

Old 08-07-07, 07:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep. If you'd like to know the technical terms, a plug is on the end of a cord (also called a cord cap). A plug goes into a receptacle. A light bulb screws into a socket, and one or more sockets together in a housing makes up a luminaire (light fixture). Any point where electricity is used, such as a luminaire, receptacle or hard-wired appliance, is called an outlet. Most of the time everyone knows what you mean, but sometimes the terms are needed for precision and clarity.

Old 08-07-07, 07:55 AM
Awesome

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I will let you know how it goes..... Right now I have to patch the hole I made in the wall to move where the fixture would be.