Old razor plug to change to GFI-how do I do it?

Old 08-09-07, 09:14 PM
Old razor plug to change to GFI-how do I do it?

SO I bought an older home and it has a razor only plug...I go in to it and there is 2 whites and 2 blacks hooked up to one another without the razor plug hooked up at all....now I want to hook up a GFI....how do I hook up the GFI?
I have 2whites and 2 blacks ....my GFI has 2white screws with 2 holes (4 intotal) where the wires can go and the brasss screws have 2 holes (4 in total where the black wires can go) which wires go where?? or is a gfi possible to go here at all?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-07, 05:45 AM
Connect all the wires to the proper LINE terminals. Place nothing on the LOAD terminals.

Old 08-10-07, 08:28 AM
which ones are the line terminals?

Old 08-10-07, 08:29 AM
The ones marked LINE.

Old 08-10-07, 08:33 AM
tried that I think, doesn't work still...

the line terminals are the bottom screws, however I have 2 pairs of whites and blacks so do I put 2 wires on each colored screw then?

I had ran a jumper from the pair to the line terminals and the GFI didn't work ...or is the GFI no good possibly?

Old 08-10-07, 08:40 AM
Ground wire

Don't forget about the ground. You may have to screw in a ground wire from the GFI to the junction box.

Old 08-10-07, 08:49 AM
I screwed in the ground and that made no difference I am thinking that the GFI that I bought must be garbage.......

Old 08-10-07, 08:50 AM
Does anybody remember the details of those old razor outlets? I seem to recall that they are connected to an isolation transformer (the pre-GFCI method of bathroom shock prevention), and that they are therefore very limited in terms of how many watts they can provide. Changing this to a GFCI into which somebody might plug a hairdryer might be a problem.

I could be all wrong about this.

Old 08-10-07, 08:55 AM
Now this I need to know as this is why I am changing it out for the gfriend so she can use her blowdryer....I am into this GFI swap for 2 hours so far....yikes...

Old 08-10-07, 08:58 AM
However, two wires in and two wires out implies that power goes elsewhere. I suppose it could be to another bathroom.

I suppose I am too young (for a change) to know what a "razor only plug" is, could you describe it please. Are you sure (no offense meant) that you are using the proper term?

Old 08-10-07, 10:13 AM
A razor outlet is simply a low power isolation transformer supplying a single receptical. They usually came on a large plate which mounted to a square box, which had enough room for the transformer. You can get kits to replace them with a GFCI receptical.

Old 08-10-07, 10:31 AM
Have you determined if you have power at this location?

Use a two wire tester or an analog meter and see if those four wires (in pairs of a black and white) have power.

A new GFCI won't work if you connect the wires improperly.

Old 08-10-07, 12:08 PM
I bought the GFI kit but don't know where to wire them...how do I test if I have power? I have a multimeter, what do I put the dial on and what do I put the 2 leads on? White to red(multimeter) and black to black?

Old 08-10-07, 12:21 PM
I told you how to wire the GFCI. Make all connections to the LINE terminals.

Do not use a digital multimeter. If you have a digital meter, you have the wrong one for measuring electricity.

If you have an analog one, you can use it. You are measuring ac volts, so set it to ac volts. Electrical power is 120 volts, so set it to a scale that will show 120 volts, probably 150 volts. Alternating current has no positive or negative, so it makes no difference which leads are which.

Old 08-10-07, 12:40 PM
So if the isolation transformer is built into the razor outlet, and gets removed when the razor outlet gets removed, then I suppose it's not a problem, as long as the wires feeding it are the proper size for the overload protection.

Old 08-10-07, 07:21 PM
Correct John, usually this is just a simple swap. Quite possible that the OP has no power at this outlet at all, however it sounds as if the outlet was spliced together in order to feed downstream devices, so if there is no power at this outlet then he must have problems at other devices further down the line.

After wiring the GFCI receptacle did you push in on the reset button?? Most of these GFI's are shipped from the factory in the tripped position and will not reset if they are incorrectly wired. As Bob said, all connections must be made on the LINE side of the GFI, and polarity must be observed. The back side of the GFI should have the terminals clearly marked and they should say LINE and indicate HOT and NEUTRAL. Black goes to hot and white to neutral and push the reset the button and your girl thinks your a hero while she dries her hair. LOL

Old 08-10-07, 09:19 PM
I will try it first thing in the AM...tomorrow....