Subpanel Installation

Old 08-09-07, 10:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subpanel Installation

This question kind of flows off of an earlier thread that did not quite answer my question. I want to install a 100 amp workshop subpanel in a room at the other end of my basement about 50 feet away. The main service is 200 amp and I have room for the feed. I was planning to use EMT for the run with a 4-4-4-8 bundle. I will have 4 90 degree bends over the run. Never having done this, my questions are: Is 1.25 EMT sufficient? Can I pull the proposed bundle through?
I understand there is a lub for this, any suggestions. What is the alternative. The basement is unfinished Thanks in advace for any commments.

Last edited by RPLasoc; 08-09-07 at 10:54 AM. Reason: remove icon
Old 08-09-07, 12:45 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
> with a 4-4-4-8 bundle.

By bundle, I suspect you just mean "group of individual wires". Don't actually bundle them with tape or tie wraps except at the head of the pull.

> I will have 4 90 degree bends over the run.

That's the code limit -- no more bends allowed without a pull box.

> Is 1.25 EMT sufficient? Can I pull the proposed bundle through?

Yes. You could actually get by with 1", but that extra 0.25" will make a big difference through four bends.

> I understand there is a lub for this, any suggestions.

Yep; you can get it in the electrical aisle. Apply liberally to the wires as you're pulling them in; this is a good job for a helper because the lube dries out pretty quick so you can't apply ahead of time. There are many brands of wire lube Ideal, GB, 3M, etc; get whatever kind your hardware store has. Be certain that you use wire pulling lube -- not a general purpose lube.

Old 08-09-07, 12:52 PM
R
Smile

Thanks for the confirmation- I did mean individual wires. When you say pull box, I assume you mean the connections I can get for the ends of the EMT at the corners? Or are you refering to something else? Thanks

Old 08-09-07, 01:18 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Those are called LB fittings, and they count as a pull box. A pull box can be any type of fitting or junction box that has a removable cover which you can access to help pull the wires through. There are several types of "L" fittings such as LB, LL, LR (L-shaped with back, left or right opening) as well as straight-through and T-shape conduit bodies.

Old 08-09-07, 01:59 PM
R
Smile

Ben-Thanks for the very helpful comments. More reading to do in the NEC but this goes a long way toward getting me started. Been a while since I did any of this type of stuff, but its starting to come back. Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: