Garbage disposal outlet: works intermittently?

Old 08-11-07, 06:58 PM
Garbage disposal outlet: works intermittently?

When I flip the wall switch for my garbage disposal, it works only about 1 out of 3 attempts. The two times that don't work, I hear a "tick"-type noise so I know something is happening, but it doesn't go. I know the disposer is fine -- if I plug it into the dishwasher plug right below it, it works every time.

Is the problem with the switch? With the outlet? What should I look at? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-07, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a bad switch. Just replace the switch. Be sure to remember to cut off power from the breaker before you do.

Old 08-11-07, 07:05 PM
Could be a problem with the switch.
Could be in the receptacle.

Could be a wire loose on the receptacle, (most likely a neutral). Is this receptacle backstabbed ?

Old 08-11-07, 07:07 PM
It could be the switch, or it could be a bad wire.

I would start with the switch. With the power off (of course) open the switch box and check the wire. If the connections are tight, replace the switch. If the connections are loose, tighten them and see if it fixes the problem.

Do not use a cheap switch for the disposal. Use a good quality switch. Buy one marked heavy duty, or one that is rated for motors.

Old 08-11-07, 07:43 PM
Smile

Could also be the wire-nut connections where the chord hooks to the disposar. Vibration !!

Old 08-11-07, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys, turns out the red wire leading to the switch was loose (when I opened up the switch, it popped out after only a very gentle tug). I pushed it back in, screwed it tight, and all is well! Thanks again!

Old 08-11-07, 10:32 PM
Exclamation

I highly recommend that you re-locate these wires to the side screws if they are available at the switch. If not buy a new switch. Google Back-stab wiring or back stab receptacles and you will see the hazards of this method of connecting wires to receptacles and switches.

Old 08-11-07, 11:01 PM
The backstab repectale and switches is most common way to get failure over the time especally with hevey load like your garbage dispoal will draw pretty good amount of current for few seconds.

as what other suggest to just swtchover to screw in or get a backwired devices [ this is diffrent kind of device that you can actally clamp in with screw ] and also dont use the 49 cent switch [ this is common way to kill the switch with motors ] get something more hevey duty they will last much longer.

Merci , Marc

Old 08-12-07, 04:36 AM
If you had to screw something down to tighten the wire then you are fine. It sounds like a back wire receptacle, where the wires are held in place with a small plate, made tight by a screw.

However, if for some reason you have a back stab connection, where the wires push in and are held by small springs and plates inside the receptacle, then rewire to use the screw terminals.