Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring ceiling fan with lights to a four position switch with light dimmer

Old 08-13-07, 09:09 PM

I recently decided to put a ceiling fan with lights in a room that has a four position switch with light dimmer already present. The previous owner of the home removed the fan that had been there. I installed a fan with four lights and wired it this switch. When I turn the switch to position # 1, the lights come on and fan goes full speed and is quiet. When I switch to position # 2 the lights dim slightly, the fan slows, but I hear a low hum from the switch? When I switch to position # 3, the lights dim more, the fan goes slower, but, the hum at the switch grows louder! Position # 4 repeats this same process with yet a louder hum coming from the switch!! Did I wire the fan incorrectly? Is the switch faulty? Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted via e-email at: [email protected] Thank you.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-14-07 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Email address removed. This is not allowed and will protect your email from being filled w/spam
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-07, 09:28 PM
Group Moderator
The fan probably needs to be on a separate switch. Tell us all the wires at the fan and at the switch. Do you see any wires not attached?

Old 08-13-07, 09:31 PM
You cannot control fan speed with a dimmer. You will burn out the dimmer and probably the fan motor as well.

Old 08-14-07, 01:02 AM
this is kinda pretty common mistake there you should not run the fan with the dimmer hookup at all.

what you should do is check the ceiling box and see how many wires at there sometime they will leave a extra wire for the light or fan and go back to the switch box it should show the same number of wires.

to control the fan you need fan speed control for this but before we do anything here, please check the numbers of wires as above.

the easy way to this is turn off the power and look at the exsting dimmer and see how it hook up then go to ceiling fan box and see how many wires are there you should see black , white this is most common way but there will sometime see red wire there as well that used for either fan or light depending on how the switch box hook up [ genrally red is useally resvered for fan motor hookup and black for light ]

for any reason why you only have two and i mean just real two wire black and white only [ i know most place useally have ground wire there but i will leave ground wire aside for now ]

you can have add on fan / light remote kit you can add to it

Merci , Marc

Old 08-14-07, 10:18 AM
Wiring ceiling fan with lights- additional info

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions and inquiries. The following attempts to describe the wiring colors in this room. The ceiling box has three wires: white, black, and copper(bare) . The fan with lights has the following wires: black, blue, white, and green. Removing the four position wall switch I found the following wires: black and red that attached to the four position switch. Behind these two wires I saw two copper wires joined together with a wire lug. Also, two white wires joined together with a wire lug. My original wiring for the fan with lights had the black and the blue wires from the fan hooked to the black ceiling wire. The white ceiling wire was hooked to the white fan wire. The copper ceiling wire was hooked to the green fan wire. I hope this description is a sufficient explaination of my setup. Again, any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-14-07, 10:55 AM
You need to get rid of that switch. Use a normal switch, that's all your setup will support without running new wires.

Old 08-14-07, 11:45 AM
Wiring ceiling fan with lights

Thanks for the response Bob. So I should use a simple on/off switch for this installation that would control both fan and lights? I sure don't want to get into rewiring the whole room! Thank you.