Heavy fixture box?

Old 08-15-07, 06:23 AM
Heavy fixture box?

Is there a heavy fixture box? or is a fan box the heaviest rated box available?

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-07, 07:17 AM
If you need to support something heavier than what a fan box is rated for, you usually support it directly from the framing rather than from a box mounted to the framing. What do you have to mount and how heavy is it?

Old 08-15-07, 07:27 AM
Thanks John,

It's a light fixture, I have not seen it yet or know the weight. Someone I know was given a quote and they faxed a copy to me. The quote stated "heavy fixture box".

Old 08-15-07, 07:52 AM
Smile

Forgot the identifying name it's given, but it's a outlet box with (the one I seen was made of plastic) with adjustable left and right metal brackets that will attach with screws or nails(don't know which they recommend) to the studs in the ceiling. Your' fixture you hang of course from the box. I am a novice at this sort of thing but that's what I "think"

Old 08-15-07, 09:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The fan rated boxes I have used are rated for a fan up to 35 pounds or a fixture up to 50 pounds.

Old 08-15-07, 09:09 AM
I suspect they are simply stating that they will use a heavy duty fan rated box, rather than a box that does not meet those criteria. This is probably what you want.

I always recommend a fan rated box for ceiling fixtures unless it is obvious that a ceiling fan or other heavy fixture will never be used (such as in a small closet). Even though you don;t want a fan right now, you or someone else may want one later on.