Running Furnace Fan During Power Outage

Old 08-17-07, 03:37 AM
Running Furnace Fan During Power Outage

How can I hook up my furnace fan to run off my generator so that in the event of a power outage I will be able to keep heat in the house? All ideas are appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-07, 04:56 AM
1) Properly install a transfer panel and place the furnace circuit in the transfer panel.

2) Install a main breaker interlock so that your panel can safely be powered from the generator.

3) I have heard of single circuit transfer boxes that allow an extension cord to be safely connected with the main power shut off.

Old 08-17-07, 06:57 PM
May not be code compliant in your area, but we are allowed to cord connect the furnace (using a twist lock receptacle) as long as the cord is not susceptable to damage. This allows you to quickly disconnect the furnace and plug it into your generator with no chance of backfeeding into your supply grid.
Check with your local inspection authority about this before starting any work, the safest way is a properly installed transfer panel and it also allows for more than one circuit to be connected.

Old 08-18-07, 11:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is your generator hooked up to your house, now, or is it free standing roll about type? Bob has the right explanation for permanently hooking it up. Mine is hooked up that way, even though I have a heat pump. My heat pump will not be operational but I have a fan forced wood plenum stove in my basement through which I can keep warm.